Monday 28 October 2019

DAY 1139-1152

Oct 15 - 28

1) And so, our "reading week" begins. It's the end of Module 1 (on neuroanatomy), and we have a break for a week before Module 2 begins. However, it is not all fun and games as we have to complete and submit out essay (worth half of this module's marks), and also prepare for our exams in December. It feels like we've barely settled in, and yet the first module has come and gone; time really passes by!

2) Recently, an annual event called the Great King's Run took place - and so I participated. All staff and students were welcome to join, so I entered the 10km run (there was a choice of 5km or 10km or "fun run"). I suppose I should have anticipated it by now, but the weather on that particular morning was unexpectedly chilly. By that I mean we ran in 7 degrees Celsius weather. For some of us that may be tropical paradise, but not to me haha. Anyway, once the race got going and our bodies heated up, it was quite bearable. Essentially, the route we took was two laps across the bridge over the Thames, with some twists and turns along the way. I was very excited to have finished, and to have made some new friends from Thailand! :)

3) I've also volunteered for a research study which looked at the reliability of brain and spinal fMRI signals during painful stimulation. Basically, we want to find out if pain on one part of the body (i.e. right thumb) can be increased or reduced (or no change) when pain is felt elsewhere on the body (i.e. left thumb). So those who took part were asked to rate the pain felt in the right thumb (with and without pain applied on the left). It was an interesting experiment, and holds potential in investigating the mechanisms of pharmacological and non-pharmacological therapies.

4) We've had several phenomenal researchers/doctors come and give us lectures. The lectures that I remember well are the ones on long-term potentiation (LTP) and long-term depression (LDP), spinal cord injuries, and novel neurovascular stroke therapies. We've also had our Friday neurology meetings; most of the cases discussed are really novel (i.e. "rare") or complex (requiring a lot of MDT meetings). I really enjoy guessing along with my medically-trained friends before the answer (diagnosis and/or management plan) is revealed.

5) I'm really, REALLY grateful that it's Reading Week as it gives me time to finish off my essay and do some much-needed revision. As this is our first module exam, I have absolutely no idea as to the breadth and depth of knowledge tested - so it is always good to prepare well beforehand, just in case. So that'll be it for today's blog update, thanks very much as always for visiting, and have a lovely week ahead. Cheers!

P.S. To all my friends and acquaintances celebrating - Happy Deepavali and may every aspect of your life become as luminous and exciting as the lights flickering on the lamps in this Festival of Lights.

fMRI - not used, but the two devices that I am gripping will apply pressure on my thumbs. Essentially the idea is to see if I perceive pain (i.e. controlled pressure) in my right thumb as a) more painful or b) less painful or c) no different - if pressure is applied to my left thumb at the same time
(I found no difference haha)


Seafood paella - very flavourful, very much worth it :)

I've found this restaurant called Delly's that sells really good Carribean food - that's chicken stew with rice and peas :)

A fantastic sunny day this morning, and a photo of the beautiful Guthrie Clinic @ King's College Hospital

Right next to this clinic is the "Ruskin Wing" - which leads to the ANC lecture theatre where we have our Friday neurology case presentations/discussions

Thursday lunches at the Chaplaincy have most of our class joining :)

Absolutely wonderful lunch with friends
  
Crossing the Thames again - this time for my first "run" this year!


This should provide some context as to how cold it was when I first arrived...

Participant No. 378

I only changed to shorts just before the race began



The crowd gathered as the Sun rose, providing some much needed heat to my otherwise freezing body

While I love the dinosaur costume, part of me was wondering why they didn't bring Reggie the Lion?(that's the official King's mascot) 


Guy with loudspeaker gets everyone hyped and warmed up :)

Made some really cool friends from Thailand :)

The finishing line was pretty much right here XD

Some nice architecture on my way to the Maughan library to get some studying done post-run

The very imposing and grand Royal Courts of Justice
  
If only the Lloyds Bank branch in Camberwell looked half as cool as this!

Lloyds Bank


The archway with the Maughan Library on the left

They take mental health and wellbeing very seriously here

The beautiful staircases of the library

Trying to get some studying done in the Computer Rooms (@ the Maughan Library)

The Law Society

Some really nutritious food today, with steamed fish, vegetables, and potatoes :)

Noodles with tofu (beancurd) black bean sauce for lunch today

More research - more information coming soon... (stay tuned!)

The portion sizes at the IOPPN are really huge :)

Another picture of the research pilot study

The Centre for Neuroimaging Sciences - right next to the IOPPN Main Building

Yes, Halloween is indeed coming (lovely design tho!)

King's College Hospital Ruskin Wing extension

The WEC library looking very empty and quiet this Sunday morning

I absolutely adore the lounge area at the library <3

Trying to eat healthily this time around...

Bought a Pudsey Pin Badge for charity :)

Platanes Building, accommodation at Champion Hill ^^

Panoramic view of the Royal Courts of Justice (every time I type this I always want to type "International Court of Justice" (ICJ)


1 comment:

  1. Hello viewers, i am nelson and about to share my testimony here, my mother introduced me to Great Baba Ogbogo when she discovered i couldn't get my wife pregnant after 3 years of our marriage. So, these brought so much trouble into my marriage and led to a divorce. she said, he is Highly spiritual and can make my wife return back to me in joy and we can have children together. At first, i doubted not until i contacted him and then cast mighty spells on me and made my wife return to me after doing what was requested of me and the needful. Now, we are also happy with lovely children. Right from the day Great BaBa Ogbogo worked for me and solved my problems. I made a strong vow that as long as i live, i will continue to testify to the goodness of his great works, and to those out there facing relationship and marital difficulties should quickly contact him and become a happy testifier like me. I drop his contact here,  Email:  greatbabaogbogotemple@gmail.com, or his WhatsApp number. +447440557868...

    He made my ex wife return to me in joy

    He cured me from an impotent man to a real man.

    ReplyDelete