Sunday 24 January 2021

DAY 1593-1606

Jan 12 - 25

1) As our country battles a third wave of COVID-19, most states have been placed under a fresh lockdown, initially for two weeks, then subsequently extended for an additional week. During this time, all our clinical rotations have also been suspended. In the midst of all this, there are two factions - those who feel that further lockdown is essential to contain the number of clusters daily; and those who feel that any further lockdown will severely cripple the country's already weakening economy, in particular the small and medium enterprises (SMEs). I can see the arguments for both, and I'm personally on the fence on this. But at some point, difficult decisions will have to be made, which will not please everyone.  

2) Personally, I've enjoyed the two weeks' reprieve from having to wake up early to attend clinics. This is an ideal opportunity for me to (hopefully) catch up with my revision. The downside to this "extra" bit of revision time is that we will now either have less holidays or less study time before our exams. That's assuming that we still get to graduate in time, of course. The way things are going, it is really hard to tell what will happen in the coming weeks. 

3) In the recent weeks, my email inbox has been inundated with emails from potential medical students/ school leavers who are interested in finding out more about medicine at RUMC. It has given me great satisfaction to be able to help these aspiring doctors decide if medicine is for them, and to share my own experience as a medical student. Before entering medical school, I had a few close seniors who were extremely patient in answering my many questions, so in some small way, I think of this as giving back. 

4) A week ago, the landlady came over with the maintenance staff to take a look at my bathroom. For the past few weeks, the toilet had been leaking from one of the pipes. Luckily, with some help, we were able to locate the source of the water (it was very well concealed behind the tank cover). As they did not have the necessary tools to fix the leak there and then, we made an appointment for the plumber to come again. All in all, the repair took just under an hour. I'm very glad as I had initially been told that it would take at least two visits.

5) That's basically it for this edition of my blog. Sorry there is nothing more interesting to read, but then again, these are some really strange times... As always, thanks very much for visiting my blog, take care and stay safe. Cheers! 

We need to stay strong and remain hopeful, and look out for one another :)






No comments:

Post a Comment