Sunday 13 June 2021

DAY 1733-1745

Jun 1-13

1) This week has been a particularly rough one for me. To start off, I had an eczema flare-up for the past week, which really affected my concentration and sleep. Besides, there was a sudden complete black-out in my apartment. Also, my internet wi-fi decided to give up on me when I needed it badly, and finally, my phone decided not to charge properly. When taken individually, these seem like quite trivial matters (which indeed they are), but when you consider that most of us medical students at RUMC are already at the brink of anxiety and depression having to study for exams they have no idea how to prepare for, then it is easy to see how this may be the straw that breaks the camel's back. 

2) Regardless, the week has ended on a particularly high-note: my article on motor neuron hyperexcitability, which I co-authored with Dr. James Bashford (my supervisor from my MSc course) has been published! I still remember writing sections of this paper during my two-weeks quarantine in Tune Hotel, KL shortly after my return from UK. There was no chair to use in my hotel room, so I had my laptop propped up on two spare pillows as I hunched over, reading papers and making notes for the article. And today, just shy of a year later, this very article has been published in Clinical Neurophysiology, a high-impact peer-reviewed medical journal. 

3) In other news, Malaysia has extended its nationwide lockdown for yet another two weeks. Infection rates have indeed been dropping, with yesterday recording just 5,793 cases (compared to 9,020 cases a week ago), and the highest number of recoveries, at 8,334 discharged. For us medical students, this means more online lectures and self-directed learning. I have also registered for and received my appointment date for the COVID-19 vaccination next week (June 21). Compared to many countries, Malaysia has been slow in mass vaccination with only 4% of the population being fully vaccinated, but things look to be speeding up. My grandfather recently had his second dose, and has had no symptoms whatsoever. 

4) That's all for this edition of my blog. Thanks very much for visiting as always, and have a great week ahead. Cheers! :)

P.S. If you are interested, here is the link to the journal article:   https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clinph.2021.03.053


Title: Demystifying the spontaneous phenomena of motor hyperexcitability


Saying goodbye to Ice: senior turned classmate turned senior again
Safe trip back to Thailand! :D


Thanks for the birthday cake Rach!
Hope you had a great one :D

1 comment:

  1. A driver needs to drive his car with full responsibility and care. This is only possible when his brain is active and he has control over his nerves. The perception of the surroundings and the clear vision is also beneficial in this regard. However, in the case of the influence of drugs, alcohol, aggression, emotions, or any other distractive state all the above-mentioned qualities fails. That is the reason why you need online treatment and clinical evaluation at NBK All Risk Solutions.

    ReplyDelete