Saturday 25 December 2021

DAY 1929-1941

Dec 14 - 26

On this very Christmas Day, I have quite a bit to say. 
Public Health has been a pleasure, with each passing day a new adventure.
Despite long rides in the morning, no lecture was ever boring,
Of course I jest - by afternoon we were all a-snoring.

Our two weeks off was a blast, if only it would last
Then I'd be able to wake up late, and wouldn't that be great
But things have to move on I suppose, as our semester draws to a close,
And we bid our goodnight's sleep adios.

From McDonald's breakfast runs, to afternoon lunches in the scorching sun,
Friendships were made along the way, and I'm hoping that will stay
For in a course where everything moves at speed, and nothing is ever guaranteed, 
A friend in need is a true friend indeed.

I make light the long hours of our rotation, but in truth it exceeded our expectation,
We learnt about the different levels of care, and even took my friend's car for repair
For when the brakes of a car malfunction, we all know that's a clear indication
That the next junction might be our final destination.

Thankfully things got sorted overnight, and wasn't that a delight
But then my laptop decided it had enough, even though I never treated it rough
But where there's a will there's a way, or so they say,
And luckily my laptop is holding on, at least for today.

My trivial laptop issues aside, there were far larger issues nationwide
We were devastated by yet another tragedy, the largest we've had in recent memory
Of a flood that claimed 46 lives after it started, and left many questions unanswered, 
As it crashed through the east coast unabated.

This Christmas has been marred by the recent flood, a tragedy that left many devastated,
But from initial despair and grief, to the subsequent aid and relief
The rakyat have proven time and time again, when there is nothing to lose and everything to gain
We the citizens of Malaysia will prevail - no matter the pain!


Group photo of everyone posted in Seberang Perai Tengah
(With the lovely matron, nurses, and supporting staff)
Photo taken at the Kampung Pertama District Clinic

Back in the ACC building (Penang General Hospital) after a long break
With my good friend Gary

Disclaimer: I'm not a houseman yet, but just tagging along as a final year medical student


A full day of academic and practical sessions

Making new friends in my cohort 
(thanks to Covid-19 and the physical restrictions I've not met many of my peers)
L-R: Tina, Jiji, Gary, Nazhan, Myself

What a beautiful morning to cross the Penang Bridge

Crossing the bridge on our way to Seberang Jaya Health Clinic
(our main destination for the public health rotation)

Public Health Rotation attendance card

Kak Sal Kelate Restaurant - famous for their nasi kerabu

An incredible assortment of flavours, with a very uniquely coloured rice, dyed blue from the petals of butterfly pea flowers

Lunch time is always a good time
With my good friend Tenisha :)

Lunch with (almost) everyone in our rotation!
L-R: Tina, Mira, Tenisha, Sabrina, Alin, Liyana, Myself, Jiji, Nana


Trying another shop recommended by our friends - LoMaQ Coffee

Their specialty is masak lemak cili api (i.e. bird's eye chilli in coconut cream)
You can pick your meat and it gets slow-cooked in this really rich creamy and spicy sauce, served with rice and a side dish of fried anchovies and ulam
As promised: here's a shoutout to my good friend Helmi for recommending this for my "good eats" review!

My "good eats" score: 8/10
Rich and smoky flavour, but would have preferred if it was spicier :)

A three-hour extended break on Friday meant a trip to Sunway Carnival Mall, where a huge Christmas tree made of presents was on display :)

A better view of the towering Christmas tree of presents!

Bawal bakar (charcoal-grilled pomphret) @ Dapur Penyet, an Indonesian cuisine franchise 
in Sunway Carnival Mall

Saturday lunch with my buddy Sim @ Gurney Plaza :)

Another one for the memories :)


No comments:

Post a Comment