Sunday 23 January 2022

DAY 1954-1969

Jan 8 - 23

1) So a wonderful two weeks it has been since starting our last semester of medical school. Our class was split into two - Group A (my group) would start with medicine then finish with surgery, while Group B would start with surgery first and then medicine. Honestly, there is a huge disparity in the way the two modules are conducted. While medicine only consists of three clinicals in a week (+/- some online lectures), surgery is a whole different affair. They have 8-12 sessions every day, and sub-internship is literally an entire week of 7am-7pm clinicals, including Saturdays and Sundays. For our group, this means that we start off really slowly, giving us ample opportunity for self-directed learning and also to finish our case write-ups.

2) I would be remiss not to talk about my birthday celebration. Having mentioned to my good friend Tenisha that I usually never really celebrate my birthday, she decided to help me properly celebrate it this year. So on my special day, we kicked off by going to watch Spiderman: No Way Home at Gurney Plaza. Without spoiling, I especially loved the nostalgia and homage that it paid to the previous movies. We spent the afternoon at Straits Quay, whiling away the time before an early dinner at Pulau Tikus Kitchen - famous for their chili crab. I should mention that I am really quite fond of crabs, so it was an absolute delight to sink my teeth into them after such a long time. Then Tenisha surprised me again for dessert, taking me to China House for some kahlua infused tiramisu - their house specialty. I was at a loss for words as I genuinely did not expect any of this. Suffice to say, it has been my most memorable birthday celebration to date :)

3) Fast forward two weeks and it's Tenisha's big day. Unfortunately as it fell on a weekday, we could only celebrate it belatedly during the weekend. So for dinner, Tenisha, myself, and Olly met up at The Loft. It was fully packed that evening, so luckily we had reserved a table earlier. Unfortunately, service was really slow, as we waited for almost an hour for our meals to arrive. Luckily, the company more than made up for the poor service. We even managed to surprise Tenisha with a very impromptu slice of birthday cake - complete with birthday song and card. Hopefully it's been a memorable day for her in the same way she had made me so memorable for me. 

4) With no more birthdays to celebrate, I guess it's back to the daily grind. And what a grind it is going to be - with finals looming so large, there simply is no excuse anymore. Hopefully, we'll all make it out in one piece. And with that, I'll end my blog post here. Thanks very much for visiting as always, and have a lovely week ahead. Cheers!

Dessert at China House was such a nice way to end my special day :')

Of course, I would notice that the "KC" in the sign is my initials while the "8" represents my birthdate. Coincidence? I think not!

Another year older, another year wiser (or so they say)

Spending the afternoon at Straits Quay, while waiting for the restaurant to open for dinner



Straits Quay Marina Lighthouse



Pulau Tikus Kitchen, located right beside the police station

Was asked by our server to promote the shop, since we told her we really enjoyed the food.

Chili crab was the bomb...

Pro tip: Use the mantou buns to mop up all that sauce :)

Chili crab, fried bee hoon (vermicelli), and fried mantou buns for dinner
As you can see, we're more excited to begin eating than to pose for a picture XD

So I apparently love crabs. A lot XD


A perfect end to a wonderful birthday celebration!

Myself, Olly, and Tenisha - dinner at The Loft :)

Clockwise from top: Pasta Parma Rosa, Beef Lasagna, Alla Bolognaise


I don't think the whole hand gesture thing worked out as planned XD

Post-prandial smile :)

Trying out Bee Hwa Cafe (a traditional Hainanese Kopitiam) for the first time!
L-R: Sagar, Helmi, Myself

Banana leaf rice today

Penang is truly a food haven

And that's the end of my printer ):

Spotted crossing the Penang Bridge today - a red Lamborghini Huracan Performante Spyder :)


That's the last one I promise :)

No comments:

Post a Comment