Wednesday 9 August 2023

DAY 2448-2534

May 16 - Aug 10

1) Where to even begin? In the span of three months, so much has changed. For one, I have completed my third and final rotation, Emergency Medicine (ED) This was definitely the rotation with the most variation in terms of cases seen. Polytrauma patients air-flown via helicopter, pregnant patients with uncontrolled bleeding and hypertension, paedatric patients whose parents watched me like a hawk as I tried to examine them, patients who were convinced that insects had crawled into their ear and infiltrated their brain, young IV drug users seeking cannulas so they could disappear for a convenient cigarette and a much-needed "quick fix", and elderly patients with broken hips or brain bleeds, who were unable to tell me anything about what brought them to hospital. I've encountered all of the above, made many mistakes along the way, and also learnt a bit about managing these scenarios. I've learnt some really interesting stuff, including fascia iliaca blocks (a nerve injection to provide adequate pain relief in patients with neck of femur fractures), ring blocks (a nerve injection for finger wounds and / or fractures), haematoma blocks (injecting local anaesthetic before manual reduction of distal radius fractures), suturing techniques, applying thumb splints, and how to use the slit lamp for eye examination, among others.

2) Of course, with the end of my ED rotation also comes the end of my journey as a Foundation Year 1 doctor. Long story short, I have passed my final Annual Review of Competency Progression (ARCP) with an Outcome 1 - Satisfactory Progress. This means that I am now officially a Foundation Year 2 doctor, and with that I have also obtained full registration with the General Medical Council (GMC). Finally, the ability to prescribe FP10s and to declare patients medically fit for discharge, along with all the duties and responsibilities that come with being a Senior House Officer (SHO). I'm not sure I'm actually ready for any of this yet. What I am ready for is my first rotation as an F2 doctor, which is going to be in rheumatology at Haywood Hospital. As I am on the academic programme, I'll only be in clinics two days a week, with the remaining three days for academic research.

3) As if moving jobs and hospitals is not challenging enough, I am also moving - literally. The contract with my landlady ends in August, and I have decided to move closer to the hospital. In addition to being closer to Newcastle-under-Lyme, I will only need to take one bus to get to Haywood. One of the biggest challenges for me so far has been packing up all the stuff I've hoarded over the past year. Thankfully, I am mostly done with that, and can look forward to starting my new job in rheumatology. I am sure it will be quite a bit different sitting in a clinic accepting referrals compared to my previous job in emergency medicine, but as always, I am open to learning new things. After rheumatology, I will look forward to a rotation in general practice (GP land as it is sometimes called) followed by geriatric medicine. That would sum up the rest of my F2 year. 

4) And this sums up my blog post today. I am really happy to have lasted this long in medicine so far, and I'm looking forward to all the ups and downs that the road ahead has in store for me. Thanks very much as always for tuning in, and I wish you all a good week ahead. Take care and stay safe, cheers!


First day as a Foundation Year 2 Doctor
(Also my first day in Rheumatology at Haywood Hospital)

Associate Membership of the Academy of Medical Educators

All aboard the free shuttle from the Royal Stoke to County Hospital


Mandatory Clinical Skills Course for F1 doctors

Re-familiarising myself with equipment used in emergency crash calls

Slow walk back home after a long day shift

Event today at the Double Tree Hilton




Presentation by yours truly, on introducing a neurosurgical unit day case service


Learning how to apply a thumb splint in ED

Beautiful scenery out of the hospital cafeteria window

Back at it with the blood and blood culture bottles and forms


A double rainbow after a brief spell of rain

Main entrance to County Hospital

County Hospital has some really good breakfast options for a reasonable price

Fish and chips with all fixings - a Friday staple at the Royal Stoke cafeteria

Haywood Hospital first day :)

My own trust laptop and dictaphone :)

Beautiful bus terminal

My last day as F1 doctor

Handing in my ID badge...

My new ID badge





No comments:

Post a Comment