Tuesday 12 March 2024

DAY 2738 & 2739

Mar 1 & 2

1) In this episode of my blog, my dad and I went hiking up Kledang Hill. This is a hill in Perak, rising above the suburbs of Menglembu and reaching 808m above sea level, making it the 245th highest mountain in Malaysia. The trails consist of several jungle treks and a paved one. We opted for the paved road which would lead right up to RTM station, the broadcasting tower. As always, we started our journey well before sunrise. Even then, there were many others who were already descending the hill as we started our journey up.

2) Previously, my dad and I had always used the paved road but we never knew where it led to. Then one day, when I was thirteen, we finally had the courage (and stamina) to continue up the paved road until we reached a fork. If you pick left and continue a further 20 minutes you would reach the peak (the so-called higher RTM station), and if you head right instead you would reach the lower RTM station in 5 minutes. I share many wonderful memories here at Kledang Hill, one of my most memorable being right after my A-Levels, when my dad and I discussed my future career options as we were heading towards the top.

3) This time around, the ascent was made rather difficult, for two reasons. Firstly, I am not as fit as before, having put on a considerable amount of weight during winter in the UK. This would have been alright, if I had not then developed a stomachache at around the halfway mark. Now, there are toilets available at the first third of the hiking trail, but beyond that, you would need to reach the top first. I like to believe that the effort and determination required for me to complete the hike this time around was teaching me a life lesson – that life rarely goes according to plan. You just need to hold on and figure out how to adapt to an ever-changing environment. 

4) We took lots of photos at the top and on the way down, including some beautiful panoramic shots of the Ipoh cityscape before sunrise. Apart from the hike, we had a selection of food options to try as well. This included Khunthai, Dekori, Sushi Mentai, and buffet at Weil Hotel, among others. It’s hard to lose weight in Malaysia, and as I had conveniently gained weight before coming back, that wasn’t part of my plan anyway. Thanks very much for visiting my blog, and have a great week ahead. Cheers!


Our first time at Khunthai Village Restaurant
(More pics down below)

The morning view as my dad and I begin our ascent up Kledang Hill



After a lot of complaining on my part, we finally reached "the fork"

Left goes to the upper station (i.e. the top), right goes to the lower station

It was a lovely day for a hike, too bad my body wasn't having any of it ):



What a spectacular view of the mountains




Finally, we reached the top


The sign reads Kledang Hill Upper Broadcast Station
800m above sea level



My dad, who very kindly accompanied me all the way to the top, all the while listening to me complain about my stomachache

Doggo who followed us all the way to the top!

My dad being the Dog Whisperer

Group of hikers (I think they are part of a club) walking down just as we reached the top







Isherwood's Avenue


Finally back at the fork (on our descent)


Huge rock of uncertain significance


I always imagine a rally car drifting around this hairpin

Mist or smoke - you decide
(It's definitely mist)


Taking a breather at one of the many shelters











Next time around, we'll take the steps on the left and see where it leads to!
(Apparently it's a different starting route that ends here)


Kasis Fall





Laughing Buddha holding a Gold Ingot

Statue of Guan Yin (The Goddess of Mercy)




I have no idea if this is a spider or some sort of arachnid, but boy was it big


Done with the climb, onwards to buffet to regain all those precious calories XD

The Buffet at Weil Hotel never fails to impress

Ais Kacang and Cendol making station

Selection of ice-cream with toppings



The fish was so tasty!




An assortment of sushi





Dinner at Sushi Mentai


Zaru soba (Cold Noodles) served with a side of deep-fried tempura


Maneki-neko (i.e. Beckoning cat) is a common Japanese figurine often believed to bring good luck to the owner


My dad had the chicken rendang set

I got the mutton curry set

Iced pandan lemonade

How to Be a Boss 101
1. Drink a cup of ZUS Coffee
2. Repeat Step No. 1

Back for some badminton today




Time for some Thai food today

At KhunThai Village Restaurant



Look at all the koi fish!



Water wheel

The design is unmistakably Thai


This was some spicy fish, but absolutely delish!








Dessert at Dekori

Someone's yellow Lamborghini Gallardo


Mom got the Cendol Special, while I got... something else XD
(I think it's called tau fu fah with tang yuan)







No comments:

Post a Comment