Sunday 24 March 2019

DAY 921-935

Mar 11-25

1) Two weeks have passed by, and with it another wave of experiences and memories have come and gone. In these two weeks, our group has presented our MPU a.k.a. General Studies project (for Ethnic Relations); we've sat for the Ethics examination (1 of 3 which contribute to a total of 20% for our Forensics and Legal Medicine module); my friends and I tried RM1 red snapper at Canton-i Gurney; and my mum came to visit for the weekend - and I got a chance to try the most outrageously over-the-top decadent slice of cake I'll probably ever have! In short, it's been a really productive week...

2) Starting off with our General Studies project with Pn. Farah, we had around 15 minutes to do a presentation on the topic "Cultural Traditions in Malaysia". We finally came up with a short skit, with a homesick Sabahan girl, Pandalela, (Melissa) coming over to Peninsular Malaysia to study. She meets three friends, Ali (myself - representing Malay customs and traditions), Kumar (Kuhan - representing Indian customs and traditions), and Ling Ling (Emma - representing Chinese customs and tradition). Also, the classroom teacher is Mr. Tan (Zi Yan - representing Chinese customs and tradition as well). Introducing each character and setting the scene is expertly handled by the narrator (Melvin).

3) Essentially, Pandalela learns more about each one of the three main cultures in Malaysia (Malay, Chinese, and Indian), with each of us performing while demonstrating our cultures and traditions (myself with the ending "pantun" or poem; Kuhan with the tabla playing; Zi Yan with the traditional tai chi performance; and Melissa with her traditional Sabahan song). Afterwards, all of us sang verses of the 1Malaysia song, whilst beckoning everyone to remember their roots and heritage, and to preserve our identity for the future generation. Suffice to say, Pn. Farah liked it very much, and we were very touched by the positive response we got for our performance :)

4) Next was the Ethics examination, which just concluded on Friday. Although it was only a 30 minute exam, it required an ethical analysis of a long-case scenario. Some of us got the same cases, while others got different scenarios. Mine was regarding a middle-aged gentleman with moderate dementia, who suddenly developed appendicitis (a medical emergency). We were required to write an ethical analysis, while considering if he had the capacity to give informed consent, and if not, if any of the family members were to be contacted, and finally, if they were contacted and there was a family dispute, what would the next appropriate steps be? As you can well imagine, there's no obvious answer (or indeed, correct one) - so we just tried to defend our positions with facts and points.

5) The other day, Denise, Hoong Yun, Lanre, (all from the year above) and myself went to Gurney Plaza for dinner. It was a crazy deal which was on offer that day - just RM1 for a whole red snapper. My Malaysian upbringing tells me if it's too good to be true, that means it probably is - but this was really what it said on the tin - no strings attached. So we found ourselves sharing a whole fish, cooked in hot soy sauce with garlic and spring onions - absolutely marvellous! It was the first time meeting Lanre, who hails from Nigeria. Also, we had seconds at Secret Recipe - and I found out that my favourite cake there (Chocolate Indulgence) is actually their bestseller. I guess I have good taste then XD

6) Finally, over the weekend, my mum came over to visit! I tried my best to take her around, mostly with Grab taxi service as I don't have a car haha. We went to James Foo Restaurant at All Seasons for dinner, and the next day we went to Big Ben Cafe for breakfast. We then called a taxi to Gurney Paragon, where we had lunch at Sushi Zanmai. Finally, for dessert, my mum had the best idea ever - the gargantuan superhumongous "kenot brain" cakes at Flover Flower Cafe. Before anybody corrects me by saying the cakes are actually from Moody Cow Dessert Cake, I'm well aware of that, but they also sell their cakes here. And after hearing from a friend how incredibly delectable they are, I decided to be the judge myself.

7) My mum had the "cempedak"(same genus as a breadfruit and jackfruit, but is not either :p) cake, while I had the Nutella one. It was absolutely ginormous and filling - and I don't think I'll ever eat a more over-the-top/outrageous cake haha. But it was really really delicious, which might explain the hefty price. But since this is a once-in-a-blue-moon treat, I don't expect to come back anytime soon. After the cake, I helped my mum back to the Sungai Nibong bus station, before saying goodbye. It is so convenient indeed to live so close from my hometown (Ipoh), as this means I can come back (or my parents can come visit) anytime.

8) That is the summary of my past two weeks - very exciting and productive. Looking forward to the coming week, and what it has in store for us. Stay tuned, and always, thanks very much for tuning in. Have a nice week ahead, cheers!

From l-r: 
Pandalela (Melissa), Narrator (Melvin), Ali (Myself), 
Kumar (Kuhan), Mr. Tan (Zi Yan), Ling Ling (Emma)

All our hard work and effort finally paid off! :)

Flover Flower Cafe with dearest mummy ^^

Melvin and Kuhan arm spans manage to block the view XD

Striking a pose!

A bit more formal haha

Thanks very much Sidi for the "Baju Melayu"! (Traditional Malay wear)


Hoong Yun, Myself, Denise, and Lanre - at Canton-i @ Gurney Plaza,
about to tuck into dinner!

Claypot pork belly with salted fish on the left,
Red snapper in soy sauce on the right (for 1 measly ringgit or 20 cents!)

Stir-fried string beans with minced pork

The advertisement for RM1 red snapper

Chocolate Indulgence at Secret Recipe ^^

Not my car... yet XD

James Foo @ All Seasons, with my mum

Their homemade burgers are huge and flavourful :)



Big Ben Breakfast Cafe this morning


Had to sample their signature big breakfast - with all the fixings :)



A short walk in the Botanical Gardens afterwards


The Japanese Garden




At Gurney Paragon


Very beautiful sunny day today :)


Grilled eel on rice with egg set

Our trip was complete with dessert at Flover Flower Cafe - L6 @ Gurney Paragon

Each cake looked just as tempting and inviting as the other

I had this absolutely terrifying monstrosity of a cake - I finally understand what a food coma is! XD




Jayzzus would you look at that!

And this - the cempedak cake!


Felt as though it was my birthday - I probably have enough cake in me now 
to last till the following year XD


Why does everyone seem to be looking towards me?

Another one of those group pics pics haha
Photo credits go to Esther :)

1 comment:

  1. The careful informative, interactive in addition ingredient guide book. My partner and i tenacity an individual annihilate valuable problem to your squall blogs enhance gifts. iron test clinic malaysia

    ReplyDelete