Wednesday 1 July 2020

DAY 1386-1399

Jun 18 - Jul 1

1) And thus begins the last four weeks of my masters course here in the UK. There is still a lot to analyse, and a lot more to interpret and discuss, but I am happy with what I've achieved so far in my draft dissertation. In the coming weeks, after a few more meetings with our supervisor, I hope to be able to finish my dissertation in time. After all, it is the single most important thing to me right now, besides returning to Malaysia and reuniting with family after all this is over :)

2) In the past week, most of the UK has been experiencing a heat wave, which culminated in a record high of 33.4 degrees Celsius (recorded at Heathrow), the highest this year, and certainly comparable to Malaysia. Obviously, the condition is worse here because unlike in Malaysia, most dorms or accommodations are NOT equipped with air-conds or even fans. So it literally feels like being baked in an oven at noon. Strangely, the next couple of days has seen a rapid drop in temperature, by more than 10 degrees in certain regions. This was due to heavy rains and winds, which also increased the likelihood of floods.

3) Thankfully, the region that I live in (Westminster) has been relatively unaffected by all this, safe for the sweltering heat. But for me, as long as it doesn't rain, I'm quite happy with the current weather. And certainly it comes at a good time as lockdown restrictions are further lifted. What we need to ensure now is that a second spike (as seen in some countries) is avoided. We certainly do not need another full lockdown crippling the economy. Cue social distancing and good personal hygiene.

4) This past week has been a rollercoaster ride of emotions for me. I've received some good news, some really good news, and some not so good news. But whenever I feel under the weather, I try to remind myself of that wise old adage - "this too, shall pass". So too, will the last few weeks of my time here in the UK.

5) That's basically it for this edition of my blog, apologies for not having more interesting stuff to report on. But I need to get back to work haha. Have a lovely week ahead, cheers!


A reminder that life is ephemeral, and that even memorable events - good or bad - will one day pass us by.

No comments:

Post a Comment