Friday 31 July 2020

DAY 1414-1429

July 16 - 31

1) "Resistance is greatest just before the finish line". The week leading up to our dissertation deadline was the hardest for me. On one hand, this was my last opportunity to go through my draft, comb through any content issues, and fix any spelling and/or grammatical errors.  On the other hand, I had already read through my draft dissertations a million times, and had gotten to the point where I was not sure what more I could have done. But in the end, I kept proofreading and making minor alterations, then rechecking the layout and alignment, before finally deciding that enough was enough - I submitted my dissertation with a day to spare. And just like that, the final piece of the puzzle was complete; I had finished my MSc in Clinical Neuroscience at King's College London. 

2) It should be no surprise that this lockdown has taken a toll on me, as I'm sure it has done on everyone to some degree. Sitting sedentary in one's room all day staring at a laptop screen for over four months cannot be good for anyone's health, and I found myself sleeping at incredibly weird times. Perhaps this will somehow prepare me for my night shifts when I return to medicine. Jokes aside, what better way to get some fresh air than by meeting up with my friends, many of whom I had not met since the lockdown began months ago. Geoff and I walked from our accommodation in Westminster all the way to Hyde Park, where we met the rest of our friends.

3) The weather was absolutely perfect - the typically unpredictable British weather instead giving some incredible sunshine for a change. We sat in the middle of some shade and chit-chatted for the better part of an hour. After Geoff left, we then walked to a nearby Tesco's to stock up on some snacks and drinks. We came back to the park and just sat there till nightfall. It was such a strange feeling of suddenly having absolutely nothing to do; it just didn't feel quite right. Honestly, I felt a little sad knowing that we would all be going our separate ways after this, as some of us would pursue further education while others would return to work or go back to their home countries. But of course, I wish every one of us the best of luck with our future endeavours, no matter where our journey takes us.

4) As for my journey, the first thing I was in dire need of, was a haircut. Over the last month or so, my increasingly long hair kept irritating my eyes and I had to constantly brush it to the side, with little success. So I had pre-booked an appointment with the London School of Barbering (in Farringdon) for this morning. I walked all the way there (a distance of 2.6 miles each way) in sweltering weather - today was probably the second hottest temperature in the UK ever, at 37.8 degrees Celsius recorded at Heathrow. As luck would have it, the hairdresser accidentally cut off one of my mask straps as they were trimming around the ears. Fortunately, I had the good foresight not to throw it away but instead attempt to retie the broken straps, and thankfully it worked! In the end, I got what I would consider a really good haircut (check the pics below and decide for yourself), with a few disposable masks thrown in as compensation.

5) One of the benefits of walking all the way and back, other than the much-needed exercise, is that I passed some wonderful landmarks. They say a picture is worth a thousand words, so I'll let the pictures below speak for themselves. I now have just under two weeks to make the most of my stay here in London, before returning back to Malaysia. It still hasn't completely sunk in yet that I am done with my masters, and all that's left to do is to wait until October for our results. Looking back, it feels just like yesterday when I said goodbye to my parents and grandpa at KLIA before boarding my flight for Heathrow. And just like that, a year has passed - a truly unpredictable year indeed.

6) And on that note, I shall end my blog post here. We have another meeting planned later next week, so do look forward to some more awesome pics of my friends. Thanks very much for tuning in, and have a lovely week ahead. Cheers! :D


P.S. Do scroll down to see what I've been up to for the past two days (the preceding weeks were just me stuck in my room getting the thesis typed out)

Finally done with this - the culmination of many sleepless nights and countless revisions. A huge thanks and shout-out to my supervisor, Dr Bashford, and my good friend and peer, Abdi, for their incredible help, with feedback, advice, opinions, and perspectives that have really shaped the way I have written this dissertation.

L-R: Abdi, Geoff, Sai, Meghna, Karen, Myself, Amba, Maloo - in Hyde Park!
(photo credits: Amba's phone with motion-activated timer)

Basically, we set around in a circle until nightfall (which is past 9pm in summer)
Also, Amba's top is brighter than my future
L-R: Myself, Abdi, Meghna, Amba, Maloo, Karen, Sai
(To Jerry, I'm sorry we didn't get a nice group photo before it got dark - make sure to come for the next one so we can right this wrong :)

One of my most memorable moments during lockdown was Games Night with my apartment mates :)
L-R: Myself, Kieran, Simi, Anca, and Sanika
(I realised I never posted this pic from before so I'm really sorry but here goes anyway)

We played a variety of games which I had never heard of before, all courtesy of Simi

You can't see it, but beneath that mask, I am smiling from ear to ear 
(preparing for my long-overdue reunion with everyone at Hyde Park)

Passed by Buckingham Palace en route to Hyde Park
(that's the Victoria Statue, a monument to Queen Victoria)

The Victoria Memorial with Buckingham palace in the background

My friends and I in Hyde Park, walking in search of some place to camp

As this photo clearly illustrates, my hair has overgrown to the point it could easily cover my eyes when I look downwards; which is very annoying
- With Sai and Karen, 3/4 of our KMK group :)

Our meeting point was Marble Arch, at the far end of where Geoff and I had to walk (from Westminster). This triumphal arch was designed by John Nash to be the state entrance to the cour d'honneur ("court of honour'") of Buckingham Palace.

The locals certainly made use of this opportunity to soak up the glorious sunshine

Thanks Meghna for turning around to pose - I still can't tell if you're angry or happy, or indifferent :)

Basically, we tried to recreate our Chaplaincy lunches here in the park

Basically just another picture of us smiling

Smile and the world smiles with you...
Thanks Abdi for lending me your jacket
(the temperature had dropped quite a lot as night fell)

My friends pretending not to notice me taking a pic of them
(also thanks Karen for actually smiling)

Now that's much better :)

Night has well and truly fallen
(I then proceeded to walk all the way back)

And now for the big transformation, this is my before pic

And that's after my haircut - feels like all my stress and problems have been shaved off along with my hair

Passed Westminster Abbey on my way to Farringdon for a haircut

Apparently, this is the sightseer's entrance to Westminster Abbey (to the left is St. Margaret's Church)

Until 1972, the Church of St. Margaret was the Anglican parish church of the House of Commons.

The London Eye, or Millennium Wheel, is the tallest cantilevered observation wheel in Europe 



Westminster Bridge, leading to County Hall. County Hall is a Grade II listed building that used to be the headquarters of London County Council, and later the Greater London Council, but now is the site of such attractions as the Sea Life London Aquarium and Shrek's Adventure London.

Boadicea and Her Daughters - a bronze sculptural group in London representing Boudica, queen of the Celtic Iceni tribe, who led an uprising in Roman Britain

Westminster Bridge

County Hall

The Battle of Britain Monument commemorates the individuals who took part in the Battle of Britain during the Second World War.


The London Eye in all its majestic glory

On my way to Farringdon, I managed to pass by some small but lovely gardens - this is Whitehall Gardens.

Statue of William Tyndale, an English scholar well known for his (incomplete) translation of the Bible into English, influenced by the work of Erasmus of Rotterdam and of Martin Luther

The statue of Sir Henry Bartle Edward Frere, a British colonial administrator who subsequently became the Governer of Bombay.


The Anglo-Belgian Memorial, a war memorial and gift from Belgium, as a mark of thanks for assistance given by the UK during the First World War, and in particular for sheltering thousands of Belgian refugees who fled from the war.

A statue of Robert Raikes, often regarded as being the founder of Sunday schools

Statue of Sir Arthur Sullivan, the legendary composer, who, along with WS Gilbert, were closely linked to the Savoy Theatre. Gilbert and Sullivan's last eight comic operas premiered at The Savoy Theatre, so it is only fitting that the Sullivan memorial is so nearby.

Welcome to Victoria Embankment Gardens, in the City of Westminster


One of the many tenants occupying Somerset House is none other than our college, King's College London

Passed the Royal Courts of Justice, commonly called the Law Courts. It houses the High Court and Court of Appeal of England and Wales.



Statue of John Wilkes, who became Lord Mayor of London in 1774

Prince Albert Equestrian Statue, in Holborn Circus
(put up in 1874 by Charles Bacon)

East Poultry Avenue, Smithfield Market


Finally reached my destination after almost an hour of walking (London School of Barbering)


Temple Bar Memorial, in front of the Royal Courts of Justice
(the pedestal is decorated with statues of Queen Victoria and her son the Prince of Wales


The Strand Campus, King's College London
(all campuses are closed until next term)


Nelson's Column, built to commemorate Admiral Horatio Nelson, who died at the Battle of Trafalgar in 1805.

The National Gallery is in the background

Horse Guards - a historic building located between Whitehall and the Horse Guards Parade. It now contains the Household Cavalry Museum, which is open to the public.

The Monument to the Women of World War II, a war memorial situated on Whitehall, just north of the Cenotaph

Statue of George Canning (British Prime Minister in 1827) in Parliament Square. The statue became a Grade II listed building in 1970.

Abraham Lincoln's statue is a replica of the one in the USA. It was unveiled in 1920 to commemorate 100 years of peace between the UK and the USA.

And finally, passing by Westminster Abbey again on my back home (the weather was really scorching at this point)

Feeling like a million bucks after the haircut

And also, here is my my attempt at fixing the broken mask strap. Still fits like a charm!





No comments:

Post a Comment