Sunday 21 August 2022

DAY 2162-2180

Aug 3 - 21

1) Three weeks into my new job, and things are slowly falling into place. In my first week, I was struggling to familiarise myself with my new work environment, in particular the IT systems e.g. requesting scans, checking patient information, writing discharge letters etc. I didn't fully understand how ward rounds were carried out, or the types of jobs that were common in my ward (i.e. gastroenterology). Also, I came across medical conditions here that would be uncommon back home, as well as unfamiliar abbreviations and medical terminology. 

2) But everything is a learning curve, and I've definitely received ample support and encouragement from my peers, seniors, and fellow allied health colleagues. With such a positive and inclusive environment, it would be difficult not to make some progress. This includes "simple" jobs like updating the handover list, prepping patients' notes before ward rounds, ordering scans / investigations for patients, writing discharge letters, sending and receiving bleeps etc. While there is still an entire mountain's worth of knowledge ahead of me, I can at least look back at how much I've learnt - even in these short period of time.

3) Last week, I had my first taste of "long days" - working from 9:00-21:30. From 9-5pm, I would be in the gastroenterology ward (Ward 230), before heading over to the Acute Medical Unit (AMU) for the remainder of the day. For most of these days, I have been stationed down in the Emergency Department to clerk and examine patients. It is a daunting task, as after taking a patient history and physical examination, we have to fill up the admission care pathway form before reviewing the patient again with the consultant. After that, a management plan is decided upon, and we are required to fill in the post-take proforma, write up the patient's drug chart, and order any investigations / referrals. Suffice to say, long days are quite tiring...

4) In addition to learning the ropes, I have another assessment coming up - the Prescribing Safety Assessment (PSA). This is typically taken by UK medical graduates in their final year of medical school, and it allows candidates to demonstrate their competencies in relation to the safe and effective use of medicine. It is mandatory for all F1 doctors to pass this exam before being allowed to progress to their second year. And as it happens, I have not taken it yet, but am due to sit for it this September. Wish me luck then - I'll definitely need it!

5) As I am in for another week of long days, I think it's best to end my blog post here. As always, thanks very much for visiting, and have a great week ahead. Take care and stay safe, cheers!


Doctors in the mess!
L-R: Dr. Shakoor, Dr. Mannie, Dr. Ibrahim, and myself

Chickpea curry with rice and poppadom for lunch today :)

First long day on the job, and the expression says it all

I guess after a while it become a routine...

Huge full moon tonight - captured while walking back home from work

Fish and chips Fridays are very popular here :)


All decked out in blue today


No comments:

Post a Comment