Tuesday 2 August 2022

DAY 2148-2160

Jul 21 - Aug 2

1) After just over a year of preparation, I am finally here in the UK - wide-eyed and ready to begin my training as a Foundation Year 1 doctor. The last few days in Malaysia were quite stressful, as I had so much to pack and so little time to say goodbye to everyone. In hindsight, I really underestimated the work that is required in order to relocate to another country. To everyone whom I did not manage to meet up with, I do apologise but will try my best to do so when I return for holiday.

2) The flight to the UK was relatively smooth. I boarded Etihad Airlines (which had a stop over at Abu Dhabi) and even bumped into my good friend Mariss who was on the same flight! It was really a pleasant surprise as I thought I would be the last person to leave for UK, given that all my other friends had arrived already. On arrival, I found no indications of a heatwave - the temperature was a balmy 15°C and it rained for the next two days. Luckily I had an umbrella with me then...

3) The next couple of days, I had to sort out my bank account and British Residence Permit (BRP). Unfortunately, while I had my Lloyds card, I had forgotten my password and had to reset everything and order a new card. It also meant that I could not update my phone number and address, as I needed a valid BRP to do so. And when I went to the post-office (in Wolstanton) to collect my BRP, the staff told me there was a delay and asked me to come back next week. Obviously I wasn't too happy to hear that.

4) Bank and ID problems aside, everything else has been relatively smooth sailing. I love my new accommodation - a 15-minute walk away from the hospital (Royal Stoke University Hospital). Last week, we had an induction for all new incoming junior doctors, followed by three days of shadowing in the wards. I'm starting off in gastroenterology, followed by trauma & orthopaedic surgery, and then emergency medicine. It definitely takes some getting used to, as the hospital uses a lot of electronic systems that I am unfamiliar with, but I suppose that explains the need for an induction and shadowing period. 

5) I've taken loads of pictures along the way, so just click the link below and scroll down if you're interested. Thanks very much for visiting my blog as always, and have a great week ahead. Take care and stay safe, cheers!

Royal Stoke University Hospital - my workplace for the next two years

Beyond excited (and nervous!) to officially begin my journey as a Foundation Year 1 doctor :)

Last day in Malaysia before boarding the plane to Manchester - gotta have something special for breakfast

My favourite curry rice at Woolley Food City

Saying goodbye to the dog my dad and I normally pass by during our morning jog

A very happy and contented cat

Goodbye grandpa - I'll see you soon!

Very grateful to my cousin for giving us a lift <3

Till next holiday dad

Love you loads mom

Thanks Pei Ying for coming along!

So this is it - farewell Malaysia (for the next two years anyway)!

What a coincidence to bump into a fellow RUMC graduate - my good friend Mariss!

Sleep-deprived us struggling to stay awake to board the next plane 
(this was taken at a stop over in Abu Dhabi)

The stewardess referred to this as Arabian eggs - it was absolutely amazing!

Bought two study tables and a study lamp at B&M - need to get my essentials before starting work

Stoke-On-Trent Railway Station - on my way to London today for an ID check with the General Medical Council (GMC)

Lovely morning today

And here comes the train (the one on the far right)

Finished my appointment with the GMC - successfully obtained provisional registration :)

350 Euston Road is their headquarters

Beautiful mural on my way to lunch

The Palace Theatre, London

Lunch today at Hawksmoor Seven Dials

The look on my face says it all - excited to try their award-winning steak which was recently ranked as the "best steak in the world"!

Surprise surprise - met up with my good friend Sai here! (okay we planned for this)

I got the sirloin well done, while Sai got his rib eye medium rare :)


There's always room for dessert!

Dark chocolate and salted caramel gelato combo - at Gelupo


Was really fun catching up with you bro

Clinical Education Centre - first day of induction as the new junior doctors


The best choice indeed!

Yet another happy and contented cat!

Furama Palace - time for some Chinese food today

Beef fried hor fun was huge in flavour

With my new friend and fellow colleague in the same department, Dr. Clarence

Beautiful flowers on the way back from collecting my BRP card



No comments:

Post a Comment