Thursday 4 August 2016

December 2015


Ahhh, December. While many students would be making the most of their free time idling about or going on holiday, yours truly was contemplating how to apply himself to become a successful medical student. Two skills I felt essential for a future doctor to possess: basic proficiency in first aid, and practical experience in a hospital setting.

In search of the former, I was fortunate to discover a 3-day course for first aid and cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR), being offered at the local St. John's Ambulance. At the end of the course, passing a written paper and practical exam would give me the privilege of becoming a first responder.

During the duration of the course, we were taught basic anatomy as well as how to respond to emergency situations i.e. the D.R.A.B.C. procedure, how to tie all kinds of bandages, and how to perform CPR when required.



Me trying hard (but failing) to model a head bandage


A doughnut bandage, for impalements and puncture wounds


At the end of the course, we took the hour-long objective paper and sat for the practicals. After that, it was just a matter of waiting a couple of weeks for the results. Finally, I was greeted with a congratulatory note, as well as my very own certificate of proficiency in First Aid and Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation! One down, one more to go.

Looking for experience in a hospital environment proved rather challenging, until I spotted a vacancy for a volunteer at the St. John's Hospice Centre. I applied for it, sat down for a simple talk with the self-proclaimed "bos besar" (big boss), and started work the very next day.

Tasks were divided into two: specific and general. Specific tasks included managing the patient's medication; making sure they took it regularly, basic knowledge on how to use a glucometer and blood pressure monitor, and accompanying the ambulance driver to take the patients for health screenings, to collect medicine and even for acupuncture!

General tasks included feeding the patients, washing and cleaning up after them, and generally keeping them company. Many of these patients were plagued with terminal diseases and it really was touching to be able to hear their stories, their regrets and their dreams. Basically, what many patients wanted was someone who would listen to what they had to say, without cutting them off rudely and abruptly. I am proud to say that I was that someone.



Bringing a patient for acupuncture treatment


I think all future medical students ought to gain some experience dealing with patients before pursuing their studies, in order to get a better idea of what they are immersing themselves in and to ensure they are making the right choice for themselves.

In short, my stint as a volunteer at the St. John's Hospice Centre may have been brief, but I gained a treasure trove of information and experience, which I will ideally carry forward in my future studies.

Stay tuned...








3 comments:

  1. I have read the blog and I will follow your blogging idea.
    Thanks for your kind blog.It is so follow able.
    acupuncture for back pain | shoulder pain acupuncture

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog with informative content
    iv in idyllwild-pine cove

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Looking into getting an IV Drip for my next hangover. Does it really help with recovery?"

    ReplyDelete