Friday 5 August 2016

Of Hopes and Dreams

January-April 2016

Many events have transpired, collectively paving the way for my dreams (of becoming a doctor) to become a reality. As my father rather aptly puts it, "the skies are clearing, and the land beneath you is coming to sight".

Firstly, I managed to obtain 3A*1A for the CIE A-Levels exams. This meant I had definitely met the minimum requirements to study medicine (BBB) as set by the Malaysian Medical Council.

Secondly, I was attracted to the medical programme offered by Penang Medical College. It is a 5-year twinning programme, the first 2.5 years preclinical studies to be done in either the Royal College of Surgeons Ireland (RCSI) or University College Dublin (UCD), and the next 2.5 years clinical training back here in Penang Medical College (PMC). I applied online using my A-Levels results and was delighted to be called for the admissions interview on the 29th of April.

29th April 2016

My interview at PMC was scheduled for 2:00 p.m.. We took a bus to Butterworth in the morning, before boarding a ferry to Penang. After a simple lunch at Komtar, we proceeded to grab a taxi to Penang Medical College. Due to traffic congestion, we barely reached in time for my appointment.

Before I knew it, I was ushered into the interview room. No time to panic now, I thought.

My interview lasted half an hour. The interviewer was Head of Department, Obstetrics & Gynecology at PMC, Professor Knox Ritchie. He asked me questions ranging from my personal reasons for choosing medicine, to posing ethical scenarios for me to answer, in my capacity as a future doctor. We even found some time to talk about Rachmaninov's 3rd, the late Muhammad Ali and badminton. Such diversity made the interview feel very informal, and it certainly made me feel very comfortable opening up.




Before I knew it, it was all over. My dad took some snaps of the administrative building, and we were off. He promised to take my grandpa and I for a treat, so after much walking and complaining (as usual) we reached "The Safe Room", famous for its nitrogen ice cream. After such a mentally and physically draining escapade, I could not think of a better way to end the day.


The Safe Room, famous for their nitrogen ice cream


We took the bus home shortly after and reached Ipoh (my hometown) late at night.

It was with great elation that I checked my email a couple of weeks later, to be cordially greeted by a letter of congratulations for gaining admission into PMC's medical programme!

May 2016

Now the real work began. Looking through their website, I was aware of the RCSI-UCD Scholarships, which covered full tuition fees for the entire 5 years medical programme. With nothing to lose, and everything to gain, I applied for it and kept my fingers crossed.

To apply, I had to submit two scholarship essays, along with a CV and two testimonials. The weeks passed as I waited with baited breath for the outcome of my scholarship application.

June 2016

Somewhere in June, I received an email asking me to confirm my attendance for the scholarship interview to be held on the 24th of the month. I was ecstatic! All my hard work thus far had paid off, and I had one final hurdle to cross, before bliss...

Then came the days leading up to the interview. Every night, I (and sometimes, my dad) would rehearse interview questions and answer them as succinctly and precisely as I could. Each night, I would go to sleep in anticipation of the big day to come.

The interview would be held early in the morning, so my family and I had to take a bus there the night before and stay overnight. On the day itself, I was ready, all decked out in my suit and tie outfit. After a final practice, we set off for PMC once more.


Back once again to PMC

For the scholarship interview, there were three interviewers instead of one. Vice President for Academic Affairs PMC, Professor Kevin B. Nolan, as well as a representative each from RCSI and UCD, who traveled all the way from Ireland just to interview me. No pressure then...

My interview was rather brief; it lasted barely 20 minutes. Thoughts began to fill my mind, "Had I done enough?" "Did I say something wrong?" "Perhaps I spoke too fast and they had trouble understanding me?"

My parents did their best to comfort me. But this inner voice would constantly plague me until that faithful day.

July 2016

That faithful afternoon, I was busy taking a nap when I was rudely awakened by my dad. Before I could utter anything, he whispered "PMC", thrust my phone into my hands and asked me to answer.

"Hello?"

"Hi. I'm calling from Penang Medical College and I just wanted to say "Congratulations! You have been awarded the full scholarsh... ""

Before she could finish her sentence, my heart leapt with joy and my whole body just went limp, overcome with emotion. My dad read my facial expressions and probably understood everything then and there. It was all I could do but to hastily voice out a "Thank you" before my dad shook my hand heartily, saying congratulations.

A few minutes later, an email sent by PMC confirmed that I was not dreaming (as I honestly thought I was) and I could finally say my long wait was over.

It has been an emotional roller coaster ride for me for the past nine months, since sitting for the last A-Levels paper on November 6th last year. So many months spent reading books on anatomy, reading medical journals on the latest breakthroughs in medical science, making my very own anatomical drawings to aid my understanding of the human body and its intricacies; all of this has not been in vain.

I am going to Dublin, Ireland to study medicine, and I will be leaving very soon, on the 1st of September.

Stay tuned...

17 comments:

  1. GREAT BLOG.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a great Article and really helpful to us. It helps me to understand it clearly. Thanks a lot.
    medicine in plovdiv

    ReplyDelete
  3. if you want to study in Ireland, then here is the Study in Ireland fees. the exact amount for this purpose is Rs. 20, 93, 000/- to Rs. 8, 37, 500. To know more about the fee structure in Ireland, you might go to the website.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing such interesting and knowledgeable information through writing a blog. I have also written an article on Study in Norway for Indian Students, mentioned some unknown facts and Data about How to Get Admission in Ireland Colleges as I have done so much research work for it. I am sure that you will be amazed to read that article.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing such wonderful information.
    There are so many unknown facts and knowledge I have got in your article. I was not aware of these facts yet. However, I have done so much research and written an article on the same topic. Do a visit to our website Scholarship to study in Ireland to read that article.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks you for sharing this unique useful information content with us. Really awesome work. 24 hour pharmacy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have enjoyed reading your post. I am appreciating your effort. You can also read more about: MBBS In Malaysia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Many students who clear NEET exams with low marks struggle to pay their MBBS fees because of the high cost to MBBS Admission in India

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This blog describes nicely how to study abroad.look forward to reading more.it was a pleasure to share here,have a wonderful day ahead.Best of luck. Study in Malaysia

    ReplyDelete
  11. This blog describes nicely how to study abroad.look forward to reading more.it was a pleasure to share here,have a wonderful day ahead.Best of luck. Study in Ireland

    ReplyDelete
  12. Russia and its neighboring countries have made their way in terms of education similarly south east asian countries are striving to have good amount of contribution in this context. MBBS in Philippines.

    ReplyDelete
  13. When exactly did you receive the email regarding the scholarship interview? Waiting for my application response, and am so nervous 😅

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am very satisfied with your post. Thanks for sharing!. You can also visit my post.

    Study in Ireland creates a unique opportunity for them at the bachelor and postgraduate levels to join research programs that are spur innovation and changing lives worldwide. For more information on us and for helpful tips visit our website.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great blog with informative content
    iv in idyllwild-pine cove

    ReplyDelete