Thursday 12 April 2018

DAY 584-589

Apr 8 - 13

1) On the 7th, I caught a plane to Manchester - my second time in as many months. I was going to complete the Greater Manchester Marathon 2018 - in aid of the Children Adventure Farm Trust. Having already completed a marathon in Dublin last year, I was initially keen on participating in the Virgin Money London Marathon. After checking the available slots, however, I decided to take part in the Manchester one instead.

2) The day prior to the event, I took the earliest flight (the cheapest one too) to Manchester, and arrived before 9.00am. As I could not check in to my AirBnB accommodation yet, I took a taxi to Trafford Centre - a large shopping centre boasting Europe's largest food court in The Orient, and UK's busiest cinema (at over 28,500 visitors per week). What impressed me most was the intricate rococo/ baroque architectural style throughout the entirety of the complex. Particularly striking was the huge chandelier that resembled a huge diamond - hanging in the Great Hall.

3) At around noon, I booked a taxi to my AirBnB; my host - Fabiola - was waiting for me at the doorstep. She was a great host, showing me around and even helping me book a taxi back to Piccadilly Station the following morning! For the rest of the day, I didn't go exploring any further as a) I was already tired, b) tomorrow was the big day! Sleep came soon enough, and the following morning, I had to walk 1.5mi to the starting point of the marathon.

4) After checking that I was in the correct start area, it was time for the marathon to begin! And so began the long, monotonous journey for a grand total of 26.2mi (42.195km). I'm not going to lie - I haven't felt that much physical pain for a long time. I had tried every trick in the book to keep me motivated, and I was now running on fumes and pure mental fortitude. A group of runners - all dressed up as the characters in "The Wizard of Oz" - came by and kept spurring me on. It was all I could do to nod weakly and grimace as my thighs cramped.

5) Finally, after what seemed an eternity, I passed a bridge, turned a right, and found myself staring down the main straight. Right at the very end - a bright blue banner (of the finishing line) came into sight. I kept on pushing, and with a final burst of speed, cruised past the finish. Job done, collected a nice, chunky finisher's medal as well :) Now came the really hard part - willing myself to walk back. It was another 1.5mi; what would normally take me around 25 minutes now seemed impossible. I had literally given it my all, to the extent that I had nothing left in me.

6) All in all, I stopped twice to rest whilst on my way back. Took a shower, had dinner, and a nice, well-deserved sleep. I needed the rest too, as my flight was in the wee hours of the morning. To cut a long story short, I took the cab to Piccadilly the next day, then the train to the airport. Unfortunately, my flight was postponed for just over an hour. Which was a lot better than the next SEVEN flights that were cancelled due to the appalling weather conditions in Manchester that day. I reached Dublin at around ten, and took two buses back home. And that sums up my trip to Manchester - a very eventful and memorable trip at that too :) Thanks for reading, and have a great week ahead. Cheers!

P.S. As with trips like this, do scroll down for a truckload of pics. :)

After half a day of running, that is the look I had...

Here I am, happily chugging along, wearing the vest for my chosen charity :))

Beneath the two thumbs up lay a mountain of pain

That moment of pure bliss!

Last minute dash for glory...




And I'm back again :)


The elusive Manchester Piccadilly station photo XD





At the Innside Hotel - to collect my race pack :)

If only I could do that after the run XD


Free T-shirt ^^






















































Wearing the Children Adventure Farm Trust vest :)







Thanks lady who helped me take the photo in front of the giant shoe :)

'The giant shoe'

If you think I stopped mid-race to snap this you're sorely mistaken :^)






Post-race pose with medal






A day I shan't soon forget...



No comments:

Post a Comment