Sunday 14 October 2018

DAY 768-773

Oct 10-15

1) Utter disbelief. From the moment I saw the advertisement on FaceBook calling for debaters to represent RCSI, to finally getting selected, the hours spent researching and simultaneously preparing for my exams, speaking my heart and soul out during the debate itself, and finally bringing the victory back to RCSI - the 2018 Irish Medical Organisation Debate was as memorable as it was nerve-wracking.

2) Shortly after spotting the ad for debaters to represent RCSI, I was at a crossroads. On one hand, my studies were my absolute priority, but on the other - could I really relinquish the chance to pursue my passion for debating? It was a difficult decision to make, and I wasn't even sure if I would get selected. The rules were as follows - each institution selects one representative; there will be a total of six representatives from RCSI, UCC, UCD, Trinity, NUI Galway, and Limerick respectively. Then we would be randomly assigned to two groups of three, and our positions decided for us. Although there were two teams against each other, at the end of the day, there was only one medal up for grabs - the IMO Debate Medal 2018.

3) The topic was "THW Enact A Presumed Consent, Or "Opt-Out" System of Organ Donation". So I made a promise to myself - I wouldn't think about the debate preparations while studying in the daytime. Only when I came back at night would I modify and refine my script. The day after my exam, I started to focus more on the script. A few days later and it was time.

4) The competition started sharp 6pm, with the welcoming speech by Dr. Peadar Gilligan - the President of the Irish Medical Organisation. With little fanfare, he introduced the panel of adjudicators as well as the debaters. Side government consisted of representatives from Trinity and UCD, while side opposition had RCSI, UCC, and NUI Galway. And so it began. Rules were Parliamentary Style - 8 minute speech, with POIs (points of information) permitted between the 1st and 7th minute. No reply speech followed afterward.

5) Suffice to say, I gave it my best shot. Then I had the opportunity to listen to the others' speeches and they were incredible. When everyone had finished, the judges were ushered elsewhere to discuss the results, and we were invited to the atrium for a well deserved round of wine and cheese. It was fun getting to know everyone whom I had just debated with (and against haha), and to get their opinions on how they really felt about the issue.

6) And then came the moment of truth. If I'm being honest, I just wanted the whole event to be over so I could go home quickly. Never in my wildest dreams did I think they would call out my name as the winner! Utter disbelief - that I managed to repay the trust that the Debating Committee had placed in me (by choosing me to represent RCSI), as well as clinch the victory for the host institution. We took loads of pictures with everyone, and then it was time to go back home.

7) I still had to return to Beaumont, so I walked all the way back to Eden Quay, and took the 27B bus back - all the while in shock! All my hard work had finally paid off. And now, back to study. It never ends for the third year medical student XD. At least I'll be doing that with a big smile.

That's a wrap - thanks very much for tuning in, and have a lovely week ahead. Cheers! :)

Trying desperately to remain calm, despite progressive tachycardia XD

From l-r: Lorcán (UCC), Finbarr (NUI Galway), Dr. Paedar Gilligan (IMO President), 
Me (RCSI), Melissa (Trinity College Dublin), Talia (UCD)

Receiving the Irish Medical Organisation Debate Medal from none other than the IMO President himself - Dr. Peader Gilligan

Taken just before the event began - butterflies doing dive-bombs in my stomach right now XD

My turn to speak - time seems to stand still as I rant about my four main points - the lack of evidence, presumed consent is not explicit genuine consent, the potential for abuse, and donation as a gift.

Post event celebration with Melissa and Finbarr!
(Thanks so much Melissa for coming to support, and for the pics! :)

Thank you very much for the advice and critique, Mr. Adjudicator 
(I'm terribly sorry I honestly cannot remember his name - it must be the adrenaline-induced amnesia...)


It's a beauty alright :')


Just look at this very classy pewter bell!

An eventful night to say the least ^^


Staying hydrated to prevent hyponatraemia!


No comments:

Post a Comment