Sunday 13 January 2019

DAY 857-863

Jan 6-12

1) Another round of short texts, lots of pictures, and some captions. Today's blog post is really long, due to the many events that transpired these couple of days. Here are some of the highlights in this edition of my blog (unsurprisingly many of them revolve around food XD):

i) Dinner at Marpoh Restaurant (always crowded, always awesome)
ii) Mum's birthday celebration at Weil Hotel (buffet lunch)
iii) Visit to Old Town (for more food XD)
iv) Reunion with SMK Anderson teachers and friends (I'm so happy that my teachers remember me!)
v) Short presentation at Tenby International School
vi) Mini birthday celebration for myself
vii) Banana leaf rice (just before leaving to Penang)
viii) Trip to Penang and meeting familiar (and new) faces :)

2) I'm safely in Penang now, where I'll continue the clinical phase of my undergraduate training in medicine. Hopefully the transition will be smooth, and can't wait to meet up with everyone on Monday!

Many thanks for visiting my blog, happy reading and enjoy the pics. Have a nice day, cheers! :D

Reunited with all my teachers at Anderson :)
(l-r: Pn. Mahani, Pn. Anna, Myself, Dhiraj (fellow alumni), Pn Noriza)

Chili pan mee - can't believe how much I miss this!
(in Gourmet Square)

It's late and therefore difficult for me to translate anything now, but suffice to say there's vegetables, fried tofu, and fish! ^^

This and a piping hot bowl of rice is everything you need in life...

For the maths aficionados out there, 50%+10% is NOT equal to 60%!

Nothing like an ice cream cone at Marrybrown to end the day :)

Jackfruit (or as it is more commonly known "nangka")


6/1 - celebrating mummy's birthday with buffet lunch at Weil Hotel :))


Pasembur is a Malaysian salad consisting of cucumber (shredded), potatoesbeancurdturnipbean sproutsprawn fritters, spicy fried crab, fried octopus or other seafoods and served with a sweet and spicy nut sauce.


A selection of their desserts :)

The setting Sun



The New Year has barely started and the decorations for Chinese New Year are up already ^^


My family
(pic taken under a fake sakura (cherry blossom) tree)

On my last week in Ipoh - having dinner with fam at Johnny's Steamboat, AEON

Just before I leave, I discover that they sell 
these amazing chocolate banana waffles at the Stadium stalls!

Having lunch at Gourmet Square
(this amazing plate of "economy rice" with sweet and sour pork, green beans, and different types of curry complete with soup, costs only RM3 - that's barely €0.60!)

A lovely visit to the Old Town - famous for its signature Ipoh White Coffee

de Classroom Restaurant

Creamy garlic herb mushroom spaghetti

Their signature chicken chop was amazingly good :)

Second round at STG - mom had their walnut cake with ice cream, while I had the peanut butter brownie - both were equally outstanding :)



T-2 to leaving Ipoh - visiting my old school SMK Anderson!
(with my Moral Studies teacher Pn. Kamala)

It was truly my pleasure to give a short motivational talk to the SPM students
(a small token of appreciation presented by my former Biology and 5SA class teacher, Pn Mahani)



Having a nice long chat over breakfast :)

With Cikgu Saadah - my Chemistry teacher from Form 4-5

Lotus root soup with peanuts
(My mom's specialty - just look at the size of those lotus roots!)

Thanks so much Pn. Mahani for the birthday present/dessert ^^

One more visit to Tenby International School
(with my A-Levels Chemistry teacher Ms. Chong :)

 
With Ms Mangales, an indispensable part of our annual Global Perspective Debates


Banana leaf rice is a traditional method of serving rice dishes in South Indian cuisine. Due to the migration of South Indians, banana leaf rice can also be found in areas with significant ethnic South Indian diaspora such as Malaysia and Singapore.
In banana leaf meals, white rice (or parboiled rice in authentic South Indian restaurants) is served on a banana leaf with an assortment of vegetables, pickles, appalam and other regional condiments (usually sour, salty or spicy). The banana leaf acts as a disposable plate and it in itself is not consumed. The choice of banana leaves is mainly due to the broad leaves as well as to the ubiquity of the plant in South India. 

I've been yearning for this for so long! <3 <3 <3

Oh look - our reptile friend has returned XD

This is it - leaving home once again, albeit for a much shorter journey
(Breakfast at McDonald's before leaving for Penang)

The first of our many food stops for the day :)

Next stop, Penang!

Next stop is Dim Sum at Tai Tong Restaurant, Penang :)

And... another round of Hainan chicken rice at Wen Chang Restaurant ^^





Street art can be found all around Penang, quite similar to the ones in Old Town, Ipoh

How about some laksa for lunch? 
Laksa consists of rice noodles or rice vermicelli with chicken, prawn or fish, served in spicy soup based on either rich and spicy curry coconut milk or on sour asam.

A nice big bowl of chendol :)

Penang Char Kuay Teow
(literally "stir-fried rice cake strips")

Getting some (Musang King) durian ice-cream for my granddad, who absolutely adores it!

 Penang Road Famous Teochew Chendul - there's a branch in Ipoh (Parkson Grand)

My grandpa looking delighted with his durian soft serve



 My welcome entourage to Penang
(l-r: Myself, Aidan, Denise, Hoong Yun)

Spaghetti with salted egg

Lasagna

Funghi pizza

Panna cotta

Really rich creamy tiramisu

"Brother Claypot" Cafe - at Sri York Condominium
(Sambal fried rice :)

3 comments:

  1. Hi,Nice content! Thanks for sharing content and such nice information for me. I hope you will share some more content about office department! Please keep sharing! And please visit.
    luscious South Indian meals

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete