Sunday 16 June 2019

DAY 1009-1019

June 7 - 17

1) And how time flies. Just as I was starting to get used to the holiday life (waking up insanely late, not having a single worry in the world), it is now time to get back to business. And I better wake up to that fact soon, as our exams (Forensics and Legal Medicine, Professionalism & Medical Ethics) are but five days away! Anyway, just a brief recount of the events that transpired in these past ten days...

2) I spent my second last night in Ipoh with my mom at Parkson Grand (Ipoh Parade). We had dinner at one of my favourite childhood spots - Dave's Deli! Regrettably, I have to say that either a) the standard has dropped; or b) I'm looking back through rose-coloured glasses, which I have a tendency to do. Anyway, I remember one of my fondest childhood memories was ordering lasagna or a foccacia and asking for some parmesan and extra gravy. Somehow, the recent visit left me a tad disappointed. Perhaps I now have more refined taste buds haha. At least we got to relive those good memories :)

3) On one of the weekdays, my grandpa, my parents, and my cousin's two daughters went for buffet at Casuarina @ Meru. It was a Hari Raya themed buffet, hence the variety of traditional Malay dishes, including their cakes (kuih-muih) and desserts. I was pleasantly surprised by the variety of meats on offer - there was traditional chicken rendang, chicken curry, fish done a la Portuguese style, prawns, lamb, and even an outdoor grill with fried fish fillets and grilled whole fish! In my opinion, it was well worth the price - plus a great way to spend more quality time with family.

4) And then it was time to say goodbye to my family as I took the bus at Sri Maju Bus Terminal back to Penang. It has been a very good three weeks' holiday and I do believe it was well spent :) And all that remains is to march forward with the rest of the semester (still need to complete Forensics and Legal Medicine, before starting the new semester just TWO days after... Anyway, back in Penang, my friends introduced me to a nice cafe called Canton City Cafe, which sells authentic Cantonese style dishes. I can confirm the food is really good, and affordable too.

5) We celebrated our friend Emma's birthday at Ippudo @ Gurney Plaza. I managed to try their famous kuro ramen (kuro = black in Japanese, referring to the dark-coloured broth made by using black garlic oil). Emma, on the other hand, got all of us free beverages i.e. a HUGE bowl of jungle juice - as the restaurant had this deal if the birthday boy/girl could verify their birthday :) 

6) Other recent exploits include a trip to Nando's the very next day. It has been soooo long since I last ate here (probably because of the price); the last time I remember eating at Nando's was after completing my first ever marathon (the Penang Bridge Marathon 2014). Ahhh, good times... wish I could relive them again. But it's time for me to get back to studying - after all, exams loom ahead, and I need to do reasonably well. Thanks very much for visiting as always, and have a lovely week ahead. Cheers! 

P.S. I haven't forgotten what day it is today. Happy Father's Day to you dad, my #1 blog fan; and to all the fathers out there who sacrifice everything for their children's future! 


Mandatory family photo - my strength and motivation :)

Just relaxing at a random bench in Parkson Grand


Dataran Bandaraya Ipoh (Ipoh City Council)

With my mum at Dave's Deli

I had the lasagna while my mum had the chicken pie :)

Customary photo before makan (eating!)

Ipoh - my hometown for the better part of 20 years :)


Hari Raya buffet at Casuarina @ Meru with family :)

All sorts of meats and curries on a platter :)

Crab with chilli garlic sauce

Baked fish Portuguese style - an absolute delightful and exploding with flavour


That's kuih pulut serunding - basically it's sticky rice with coconut floss :D

An assortment of traditional Malay kuih - so pretty :D

My dad with the more contemporary cakes and cookies ^^


Photo with my cousin's two daughters 
(thus making them my first cousins once removed :) 



Very beautiful decorations for the Hari Raya celebrations ^^

Sri Maju bus express - unfortunately, where I must part with my family once more )':

Saying goodbye from the bus window - onwards to Penang then...

Lunch with the buddies:
l-r: Myself, Hong, Sim, Khee Heng, Nee Kee

A few days in, and I'm enjoying a nice Cantonese-style lunch with my friends

Celebrating Emma's birthday at Ippudo @ Gurney Plaza
Happy birthday!! :D

Free jungle juice came in this enormous fish bowl-like container XD

Kuro ramen - full of smoky pepper and black garlic oil flavour, and accompanied by three fine slabs of moist pork ^^

Lunch at Nando's the very next day! It's been so long since I had Nando's
l-r: Myself, Melvin, Hong, Melissa, Esther, Khee Heng, Nee Kee, Kuhan :)

Chicken salsa bowl with bottomless soft drink :)

My special spot in the library - I didn't know until recently that these cubicles (tables with dividers for privacy) are actually called "study carrels" :D

What a nice way to end the post with a picture of a beautiful flower - spotted at Sri York :D





No comments:

Post a Comment