Sunday 2 June 2019

DAY 1000-1004

May 29 - Jun 2

1) We celebrate the 1000th day of my blog in style, with many events and meet-ups transpiring in this short week. Most recent was my maternal grandmother's 80th birthday celebration at Menglembu East Ocean Seafood Restaurant. My uncle reserved many tables for all our relatives to come for the event; and it was a grand event indeed, with a 7-course meal, followed by cake! My cousin Wilson also came down from the UK to attend the event, and I was really glad to catch up with him after such a long time :)

2) At the start of the week, Uncle Tuck and his family came over to visit us overnight, before leaving the next day for Penang. It was very nice catching up with them after so many months, over dinner at Gourmet Square Food Court. The next noteworthy event was my watching two movies in as many nights - which is peculiar of me as I haven't watched a movie (at the cinemas) in more than a year!

3) I watched Disney's musical fantasy "Aladdin" with my mom on the first night, and "Godzilla - King of the Monsters" with my good friend Isyraf whom I've not seen for the better part of three years! Aladdin remained faithful to the Disney animated movie as I remembered it, and Godzilla was full of special effects as an action movie haha. Both were really fun in my opinion, but more importantly it was really good to meet up with my old schoolmate and badminton buddy :)

4) Another two "Good Eats" in Ipoh to recommend - one is called "de Cuisine Cafe", whose specialty (in my opinion at least) includes their famous American Mudpie. It is a real shame that they were all sold out when I went with my family for lunch there... But their set meals are awesome as well - chicken or lamb chops with a large selection of sauces - served with garlic potatoes and a side of salads, and complete with dessert - for only RM15.90 (€3.00!)

5) The last place to recommend would be a really unassuming stall in a cornerside coffeeshop in Greentown that sells really authentic Western-style food. I especially love their garlic butter spaghetti with herbs, as well as their cheese omelettes - loaded with freshly melted cheese and topped off with more parmesan! It's certainly a breakfast to remember, but alas I can't remember the name XD

6) In one week (six days as I type this), I will be leaving home to resume my studies in Penang. It honestly feels too fast - like only yesterday when I left for home. But alas, all good things must come to an end, and back to the old grind I must return haha. We start off our semester with Forensics and Legal Medicine, our module exams for the same, and then I'm in Paediatrics rotation for the next eight weeks. Can't wait to see how that turns out haha. Anyway that's it for this edition of my blog, do enjoy the pics below, and thanks as always for tuning. Have a great week ahead, cheers! :)

Celebrating my maternal grandmother's 80th birthday at a famous Chinese restaurant in Ipoh 
(East Ocean Seafood Restaurant)

Having dinner at Gourmet Square Food Court with Uncle Tuck, Auntie Belle, and Sophie :))

Simple and so satisfying meal of rice with fried egg and Chinese sausage (lap cheong)
(reminds me of my childhood haha)
  
Various snacks and good eats - there's rojak, sate (skewered meat) and lobak (five-spice pork rolls)

Today's dinner was with mom, at Kenny Roger's Roasters

Dinner mom before watching a movie ^^

First of two movies in two days haha
(Disney's musical "Aladdin")

Post movie treat at Secret Recipe :)

Today my dad brought me to a very special place for food - called "De Cuisine Cafe"

The grilled chicken chop with mushroom sauce was phenomenal, as was the richly spiced garlic potatoes :)
  
With grandpa and my dad :)

For an extra RM1 (that's 20 cents) you get a small but cute dessert :)

The second of the two movies in two days haha
(Godzilla - King of the Monsters --> out today!)

With my buddy Isyraf (whom I've known since donkey years ago) and his brother

Looking surprisingly chill for someone soon to be swallowed by that monster...


With my cousin the one and only Dr. Wilson Cheah 
(who was back on holiday in time for my grandmother's birthday celebration)

With all my cousins on my mom's side
(l-r: Pei Ying, Joe, Wen Bin, Pei En, Pei Ci, Jameson, Yvonna, Nickson, Wilson)

That's the menu for tonight's dinner at Menglembu East Ocean Restaurant
(tip for would-be bloggers is to take a pic of the menu so you can remember the name of the dishes later on hah)

My mom all dressed up for the event :)

Cupcakes made by my auntie :)

Thumbs up of approval by mum for the cupcake ^^

With my mom and Auntie Moon Cheah :)

The main starter - consisting of lobster meat salad, honey glazed chicken, scallops, char siew pastries etc...

That's a real lobster whose meat was scooped out for the salad - really fresh!

Steamed chicken with fresh ginger

Braised sea cucumber in savoury gravy (with loads of scallops and broccoli haha)

My mom's love for flowers has never been more evident that in this photo <3

Steamed estuary tiger grouper with scallion soy sauce

Huge sautéed prawns with premium soy sauce

If it wasn't already clear, the prawns were HUMONGOUS!

Longevity noodles to finish just before dessert ^^

"Brown sugar pastries" turned out to be trilayer - gelatin on the outermost layer, mochi in the middle layer, and sweet red bean paste on the innermost layer; a unique and decadent combination of flavours :)

To finish off, sweet walnut soup that was silky smooth and not too sweet


 Having breakfast with my family this lazy Sunday morning
(introducing the famous cheese omelette with ham, bacon, and sausages - at Greentown Ipoh)
Believe me, this is REALLY delicious

UTC (Urban Transformation Centre) Perak - where the public come to pay bills and enlist both private and public services -
 extremely convenient as everything e.g. electric, phone or water bills are all under one roof :)


No comments:

Post a Comment