Tuesday 31 May 2022

DAY 2087-2097

May 21-31

1) Finally, a moment's peace as one chapter closes and another opens. The past week has been a rather strange one - waking up back home and not having to worry about upcoming exams. Instead, I have been busy with other things, mainly with visa applications and moving all my belongings from Penang back to Ipoh. Thankfully, my parents have helped me tremendously, especially with the packing up. As I'm writing this, I've just returned home from Penang, having shifted four boxes worth of stuff back with the help of my friends. 

2) Since coming back, I've been spending as much time as possible with my family. Regardless of where I end up working, I know that I'll be leaving home soon. Therefore, it is important to treasure each and every moment with them. For instance, I've been following my dad for his morning jogs around the neighbourhood. The other day, I drove my mum to my maternal grandmother's house, to visit my mum's side of the family. In my opinion, these are the little things that I will remember and cherish later on in life.

3) A few days back, my good friend Kuhan came visiting with his mum. It has been ages since I had a visitor, and the timing was literally perfect, since I was heading back to Penang the next day. Together with my dad (who took a half day off), we visited the various cave temples that Ipoh is known for - beginning with Perak Tong Cave Temple, then Kek Look Tong Cave Temple, before finishing off with a vegetarian lunch at Sam Poh Tong Cave Temple. In particular, I enjoyed the beautiful view of the lake in Kek Look Tong as we drifted along in our rented paddle boats. 

4) Having taken my academic gown in anticipation of graduation day, my family and I have been pre-occupied with taking as many photos as possible. This meant going to different locations across Ipoh for DIY photoshoots. Overall, I'm really glad we managed to take so many excellent photos together, and hopefully this will extend to the graduation ceremony itself. I, for one, cannot wait. Thanks for visiting my blog as always, and do enjoy the many pictures (click the link). Take care and stay safe, cheers!


An exciting day out with Kuhan and his mum!
(taken in front of Perak Tong Cave Temple)

Pre-graduation family photo with my parents and grandpa :)

Group photo with some of my cousins on my mum's side :)
(too bad not everyone is smiling haha)

Practising my smile for graduation day XD

A view of Ipoh's Old Town

Just ahead lies the Ipoh Railway Station

Random murals on a wall

Kong Heng Restaurant is one of the oldest kopitiam (coffee shops) still in existence in Ipoh - est.1891

Mahjong wall

Too bad I don't play mahjong - enjoyed the afternoon tea tho :)

Ipoh Railway Station - for a quick trip to KL to collect my certificate of good standing

I've found the ETS (Electric Train Service) to be very punctual and convenient

At another of Ipoh's attractions - Tong Sui Kai ("Dessert Street")

As you can see, it lives up to its name with a variety of amazing desserts!
This is of course the famous ice kacang (shaved ice) with ice cream

Trying a new Japanese restaurant in Ipoh (Sushi Ya) with my mum


Another gem of a restaurant tucked away in a rather secluded area, safe from any tourists
My dad swears by their iced milk tea, which I tend to agree

Perak Tong Cave Temple is famous for its 358 steps leading to a garden, pavilion, and vantage point which provides a breathtaking view of Ipoh

Some of the intricate paintings on the cave walls

Our first stop of the day - Perak Tong Cave Temple


Group pic with the statue of the Goddess of Mercy behind us



Standing in front of The Eighteen Arhats - depicted in Chinese Buddhism as the original followers of Gautama Buddha, and who have each attained the four stages of enlightenment

In the middle is the Taming Dragon Arhat - what an impressive-sounding name!

Paddle boat ride - paddled and maneuvered by yours truly 

RM20 for 4 people - a great way to exercise while absorbing the gorgeous scenery!

White Chinese goose spotted

Stalactites that have formed over the ages, resulting in some really unique patterns

Kek Look Tong, nestled in between serene lakes at the base of Gunung Rapat,
was our second stop of the day

In front of the statue of the Goddess of Mercy, Kek Look Tong Cave Temple

The koi fish were so beautiful with their different colours and patterns

Plotting my next move in the classical game of Go or Weiqi ()

The third of the cave temples we visited - Sam Poh Tong

Still haven't figured out the purpose of this beautiful temple 
(as it is not open to public)

With my mum and my cousin's friends - thanks so much for the help in moving out!

Back in a really unique place for a photoshoot - Platform 9 1/2 Cafe

Yes it really do be looking like I'm heading to university all over again XD

Luckily we arrived early as the crowd started to gather after our turn

Taking a breather after posing for too long XD


Luckily my dad decided to join in the fun :)

More normal photos with my parents before the fun begins...


And now, the fun begins!

Slytherin vs. Gryffindor

My dad having the time of his life <3

Really happy with how the pics turned out

I may have jumped a little too high here haha



Even the Mona Lisa is all masked up

The weather was perfect for taking photos today

Breakfast at O'Briens - back in KL today for visa applications

The majestic Petronas Twin Towers in all its glory

40 sticks of satay (meat skewers) with accompanying peanut sauce - from my uncle in town
I've tried many versions of satay in the past but have never come across anything that comes close






 


No comments:

Post a Comment