Friday 8 September 2017

DAY 372/373

Sept 7 & 8

1) For the longest time, I thought that meiosis (germline division) consisted of meiosis I and II, and that meiosis I was just prophase I, metaphase I, anaphase I, telophase I and subsequently cytokinesis. Today I learnt that prophase I could be further subdivided into five phases; namely Leptotene, Zygotene, Pachytene, Diplotene, and Diakinesis. I find this really intriguing since we've learnt this chapter of cell division since secondary school, but never once have I come across these terms. The other reason I'm writing on this is so that I can remember the lectures better. That's the ulterior motive actually... ^^

2) Lectures at 8.00am are a real pain for me, seeing as I'm now living at Dundrum. Worse still, oftentimes the LUAS Tram is full, so we have to wait for the next tram before boarding. That means I have to allocate upwards of an hour to arrive in time. And worse still, our lecturer for that specific 8.00am slot yesterday couldn't make it either... It was a bit of a letdown as I really missed Mr. Koenig's lectures. That being said, I had at least more time to prepare for the following lectures...

3) Back-to-school week is over. So a week has passed since our return to RCSI, and a couple of things have changed. Firstly, we've had many lectures at the new "Desmond Auditorium", and they've been great thus far. One downside is many of us have not received locker allocations yet, which means we can't store our stuff e.g. lab coats, change of clothes etc. This is a touch inconvenient as many of us would not want to keep our lab coats (filled with the lingering odour of preservatives and preserved tissue) in our bags.

4) Also, they are currently doing work on the Anatomy Room roofs, which means anatomy practicals have shifted to the Exam Hall, temporarily. To be honest, I prefer the layout in the Exam Hall as it is much larger, hence more space to move about. On the bright side, we've had loads of activities planned for Fresher's Week. Some of them include the Pink Party (RCSI Cancer Soc - get your tickets from me, Raveena, or Claire please ^^), the Amazing Race (PMC Student Association), White Party, Ballad Session and Pub Crawl. The Pink Party this year will be held at DTwo Club/Bar/Garden, and tickets cost only €5, with the proceeds going to charity (most likely Breast Cancer Ireland). There's free entry to DTwo till late, so make sure to come and join in the fun! :D

That's all for my blog updates, and I hope you enjoyed reading. Thanks for popping by, and have a great weekend. Cheers!

2nd Med (the cover makes a great colouring page XD)

The relocated Anatomy Practicals
(in the Exam Hall)

Arancini (stuffed rice balls) with fries and peas,
 at AK Henry's

Lasagna from Dunnes for dinner, while I contemplate life...



No comments:

Post a Comment