Thursday 14 June 2018

DAY 649

June 12

1) Today was another exciting day for me, as I helped out in the labs. Prof. Long has not returned yet, so I do not have my own research topic to focus on. As such, I'm helping out as best as I can with the others' experiments, while simultaneously learning the ropes. I'm very lucky to have undertaken a similar chemistry-based subject last year, so the concepts and ideas behind a lot of the things they do in the lab is not something new to me. Handy when everything down to the chemicals is written in Chinese :)

2) I've received my own log book, which is used to record all experiments. I've started my first experiment, which is to synthesise a compound which Chris needs for his experiments. It's a really long process, and a bit like watching paint dry, which means most of the time I'm just waiting for it to finish. Which gives me a lot of opportunity to chat with the others in the lab, and to find out what they are doing. Turns out many of them are doing their PhDs or Masters, and that they find it boring after doing the same experiments over and over again haha. At least 2 months for me will not be enough to dissuade me from liking the research that I'm undertaking.

3) In the afternoon, my friend Nina and I went for lunch together. I had asked her if she could help me with fixing my laptop, as for some strange reason the screen was flickering on and off. After lunch we went to the hardware shop, where the guy had a look at my laptop and couldn't find anything strange with it. He shut down the computer and after 5 minutes, they laptop was back to it's old self. He then asked me to bring it back should the problem arise again. Touchwood it's been three days now and no problem yet...

4) During one of our conversations, Chris had recommended for me to try out something called 烤鸭泡饭(roast duck with rice), which is one of his favourite dishes in the campus. So I went to Cafeteria No. 5, which sells this dish, to try it out for myself. The taste is really quite unique - it's roasted duck on a bed of rice, with three choices of vegetables, and all drenched in a rich soup broth. I absolutely love it! Took a slow stroll back to the apartment, and here I am, whiling away time till the next blog update. Thanks for visiting my blog, and have a lovely weekend ahead. Cheers! :D


Having lunch with Nina in Cafeteria No. 6 :)

My very own log book
(just like old times ^^)

The lounge room (for the researchers)

Curry chicken chop rice, with two choices of vegetables
(cauliflower and beansprouts)


Mixed fruits
(You pick as much or as little as you want, and pay up :)

Good enough for a food advert?
I definitely think so XD
(Roast duck with rice)

No comments:

Post a Comment