Wednesday 6 June 2018

DAY 630-642

May 24 - Jun 5

1) For the past couple of weeks, I've been quite free - not burdened by exams or studying. But other things have taken up my time. For example, I've had to travel to Ballsbridge (Dublin 4) multiple times in order to make a visa application to China. It has not been an easy process, but in the end we managed to obtain our visas.

2) Also, it appears that since coming back from my Europe trip with my parents, I've come down with a rather nasty cough. As I have had a chest infection a year ago, I wasn't taking any chances and went to see a doctor quite promptly. Luckily, it was not an infection and I was given some cough syrup (Exputex). It's still lingering a bit though; hopefully it'll clear off soon enough...

3) On June 5, the official opening of the No. 26 Building, York Street (the new academic building) took place. RCSI warmly welcomed Michael R. Bloomberg (WHO Ambassador of Noncommunicable Diseases as well as ex-Mayor of New York), The Lord Darzi of Denham (one of the world's leading surgeons and Labour politician), Pat Kenny (veteran Irish broadcaster), and an ensemble of over 500 distinguished guests.

4) Some of us had volunteered to be a part of this momentous occasion, as Student Ambassadors of the college. Our role was to assist the guests in whatever possible, and to to show them around the college. On that day, all floors were open for our guests, and I was assigned to the fifth floor. So me and some friends showed the guests around this floor, into the wet lab (for surgical procedures). A technician was on hand that day to explain the different equipment and apparatus in further detail than we could. All in all, it was a very successful event, not to mention a hugely memorable one too!

5) I'm off to Suzhou, China in literally an hour after this is published. As I understand, there is something called "The Great Firewall (of China)" which is enforced within China to regulate the internet domestically. This means no YouTube, Google, Facebook, Whatsapp etc. I've bought a VPN as a sort of roundabout way to counter this, but if for whatever reason no more blog posts for the next two months (that's how long I'll be in China - I'm coming back Aug 3) then at least you know why.

That's basically it for today's update. Thanks very much for tuning in, and happy summer break. Cheers!



 The Embassy of China in Ballsbridge, Dublin 4

Letter of Admission ^^



 On the Dart to Sandymount, where it's an 8-minute walk to the Embassy


the Royal College of Physicians of Ireland (RCPI)

Preparations ahead of the big day :)



 This really cool box is actually a set of VR glasses, that when connected to your smartphone gives a guided walking tour of the new building ^^

The turnout was so great that some guests were left standing!
(and Desmond Auditorium seats at least 540)

 Professor John Hyland, President of RCSI - gives his opening speech

 Mr. Bloomberg was interviewed by Pat Kenny



 The Lord Darzi with his closing remarks

The official unveiling of the building by Mr. Bloomberg


No comments:

Post a Comment