Saturday 16 June 2018

Day 650

June 13

1) Yet another fine day in the labs, and today I'm learning more about the equipment and techniques from Chris and the others. I've even started synthesising compounds to be used for further reactions. The routine is gradually starting to sink in - it's 8.30am in the labs, and then around 11.30am everyone makes a beeline for the cafeterias, and we're back in at around 1.30pm, after which we have dinner at 5.30pm.

2) It's a routine that is new to me, as I am not used to having lunch or dinner this early. But according to my friends, it is important to go early or the food in the cafeteria will run out, leaving less variety if you go late. So this afternoon, I went with Linda and her boyfriend to have lunch. In addition to the rice with three sides, I got some cold "mung bean soup" (綠豆汤) which made a very nice dessert in the hot weather. 

3) While chatting about our hobbies, I found out that many of them enjoyed playing badminton (in addition to table tennis) and they actually invited me for a round of badminton that evening! While I wasn't entirely dressed for the occasion, I wasn't about to miss an opportunity to play badminton, while at the same time getting to know each other better. So after our light dinner (just simple noodles with egg and tomatoes), we walked to the campus gymnasium. Turns out they only charge after 7.00pm, and that too a very reasonable 5 yuan per hour. 

4) We played doubles for the most part due to the lack of available courts and because there was so many of us. It was so fun playing badminton after more than a year of not picking up a racquet (my racquet string broke during a particularly intense game of badminton in Ireland last year and I have yet to replace it). We ended up playing almost three hours (from 6-9pm) and after that I was completely done! The long walk back home (around 35-40 min) felt even longer as my muscles ached from the vigorous activity. But it was a heck of a nice time that I had, and I'm looking forward to our meeting again next week. Until then, thanks very much for visiting my blog, and have a nice day. Cheers! :)

The Pharmaceutical Sciences Building
(I'm on the top floor :))

Rice with two meats and one veggie, accompanied by a nice cold dessert :)

Having lunch with Linda and her boyfriend

Noodles with egg and tomato - my dinner! ^^

My lab buddies (soon to be badminton buddies too ^^)

Unfortunately, I don't have pics of the gymnasium or the badminton courts, but I will in the future. :)




No comments:

Post a Comment