Saturday 22 December 2018

DAY 836 & 837

Dec 16 & 17

1) "All my bags are packed, I'm ready to go..." John Denver reference aside, that was an ideal description of me as I awaited the taxi to take me to the airport in the wee hours of the morning. The taxi driver ended up five minutes late, and apologised profusely. I had already checked in online, so all that was left to do was weigh my luggage (which fortunately came in at just under 30kg - the maximum permitted weight) and to pass through border control. An hour or so later and I was off - my last sight of Dublin as the first glimpses of sunlight came into view.

2) I don't do well with time zone conversions, but according to the pilot, we arrived at Abu Dhabi (for transit) at just after 8pm local time. I had more than an hour to stretch my legs and grab a quick bite before my next connecting flight, so I did. While waiting, I saw so many Malaysians mid transit, presumably going home as well. Before I knew it, it was time to board, and I spent the next seven hours thinking about everything in Malaysia - my family, friends, the weather, food etc. Of course, the on-board meals and entertainment helped take my mind off for a bit too.

3) I remember touching down in KLIA (Kuala Lumpur International Airport) on a warm Sunday morning, delighted to be back, but at the same time just feeling a tinge out of place. The thick lush forests, bright sunshine, and different people reminded me that I was no longer in Ireland - my home for essentially 2.5 years. First thing to do was to take the shuttle back to the baggage collection. As it was a fully packed flight, I had to wait for a long time to get my luggage back. But immediately beyond the baggage area, I knew my family was waiting.

4) I was tired from all the travelling and lack of sleep, but I felt a surge of emotion as I saw my parents, and particularly my grandpa, in person. We stood there for a good few minutes, taking in everything and enjoying this moment of reunion. Then, my parents helped me take my baggage cart while we made our way to the nearby McDonald's. Some of you may wonder why I would even bother with McD after returning home, but it has simply become custom for us. 2.5 years ago, I had my Big Mac just before saying goodbye to my family, so it was only fitting that my first meal back home would be a Big Mac as well.

5) I had so many stories to share, and so did my parents. An hour of animated talking later, we decided it was time to go. My parents had hired a driver to take us back, so we got into his car, and left for home (Ipoh - my hometown). I slept very soundly on that leg of the journey, the initial adrenaline replaced by fatigue and jet lag. When I awoke, it was for a restroom break about 80km from Ipoh. Around 4.00pm, we finally arrived in Ipoh - and what a familiar sight it was! I could remember it as I left it, with a few welcome additions.

6) I had honestly forgotten how good it is to live at home, and if anything it really goes to show how much you appreciate something when you don't have it anymore. I spent a while acclimatising with my old environment, and after that we went out for dinner. Our routine hasn't changed in 2.5 years - it's still AEON Mall (Kinta City) and Parkson Grand during the weekends. As it was Sunday, my parents chose AEON. They brought me to Johny's Restaurant for dinner, and afterwards to MPH and Popular Bookstore - where I've spent literally my entire childhood rummaging through their collection of (mostly car) books.

7) After a good deal of walking, it was time for supper (yes, we have supper), so my parents brought me to the Stadium, where there are loads of food stalls that open till late at night. I had my first bite of authentic Malaysian food, and it was indeed heavenly. I had the chicken rice with their special saffron-infused soup, and my dad helped order a side dish of satay - skewered meat served with peanut sauce. And to wash it all down a bowl of "ais kacang" or shaved ice with loads of toppings. I was indeed fortunate as it had been raining frequently these past couple of days, so the temperature was very comfortable.

8) It's my first day back home, and I still can't believe I'm back. I'll do more exploring tomorrow, but this will have to do for now. Thanks so much for visiting my blog, and have a nice day. Cheers! :)

All smiles with my grandpa, dad and mom :))

On board Etihad Airways from Dublin to Abu Dhabi

In flight meal - spiced lamb with rice

Killing time by killing aliens ^^

We touched down at Abu Dhabi International Airport

Very impressive interior of the airport

Mid-transit snack, while waiting for the next connecting flight back home

In flight meal 2 - chicken noodles

Waiting for land to appear from beneath us...


Waiting at the baggage collection area... just a little while longer...

Reunited with my family :')

At our "lucky" McDonald's - as my mom likes to call it


Chicken satay - 
skewers of chicken served with cucumbers and onions, and a rich, thick, creamy, mouth-wateringly delicious peanut sauce

Hainanese chicken rice with soup

Wonton noodles - served with wonton dumplings (containing minced pork/shrimp) and pickled chillies as garnish


Our famous "ice kacang" - shaved ice with palm seed, red beans, sweet corn, grass jelly, roasted peanuts, and cubes of agar, topped with a drizzle of evaporated/ condensed/ coconut milk along with red rose syrup or sarsi syrup

No comments:

Post a Comment