Thursday 6 July 2017

DAY 307/308

Jul 5 & 6

1) So I'm slowly but surely settling in to my new environment. Not just my new home, but also the new academic building! It's so convenient to pop by the library after work, and make a cup of coffee/tea before lazing into one of those oh-so-comfortable chairs...

2) And just like that, it's been more than a month since my research started. Yesterday, we confirmed by mass spectrometry that my tenth experiment, had finally produced the ester product that we were looking for. This can then be used as the starting point for our reactions with various bismuth compounds to form novel complexes. At least that's the plan...

3) Which is exactly what we did today. Dr. Griffith came himself to carry out the reactions with me and Donal. It is the first time that I've handled liquid nitrogen with my own hands, and it was fascinating to watch all the insulating nitrogen gas envelope the reaction vessel as we poured it out. We carried out two new experiments today, before leaving it to continue stirring overnight.

4) That sums up the past two days, and I hope you enjoyed reading about it. Have a great day, cheers!

RCSI Academic Building at night ^^

The €52.00 for 30-day LUAS (tram) tickets are such good value!

Mixing things up a little: Full Irish breakfast at AK. Henry's



No comments:

Post a Comment