Thursday 31 August 2017

DAY 364/365

Aug 30 & 31

1) Today (Aug 31st) is a very special day for Malaysians everywhere. It represents 60 long years our nation has been free from the shackles of colonialism. 60 long years since the chants of "Merdeka!" (Independence) rang across the then newly completed Merdeka Stadium. Fast forward today and Malaysia is a thriving tourist destination, known for its white, sandy beaches, medical tourism, and lest we forget - the FOOD!

2) But Aug 31st signifies something else for me as well. It marks exactly 365 days since I waved goodbye to my family at KLIA (Kuala Lumpur International Airport). Thinking back, it was really strange, and I remember asking myself why I wasn't feeling too emotional when leaving everyone for Dublin. In fact, all I was thinking about at that time was making new friends and starting a new life abroad, as a medical student.

3) And then, as days turned to weeks, and weeks to months - it hit me. The nights became longer; the once cheery and sunny weather replaced by dark, freezing winter. The fact that this was my first winter did nothing to improve my overall mood. I remember laying down to bed at night, reminiscing about the good old times with my family, and all we used to do together. Then it occurred to me - I wasn't thinking properly, was I? When we try to remember fond memories, we usually mentally highlight the best moments, and conveniently neglect the not so good ones. Thinking back now, I remember clearly all the times I felt confined at home, or bored out of my wits with nothing to do (in the weeks leading up to my departure).

4) As the new semester approaches, I have made peace with my inner self. I miss my family, friends and teachers just as badly as before (if not more so), but I know I will return to see them soon. And right now, my mind has to be in its rightful place for me to make full use of the time that I have left here. More than anything, a year abroad has taught me independence - the ability to live and thrive by oneself without relying on others. Perhaps this is in a way quite fitting, that the end of my first year should fall on the very day, 60 years after the Union Jack fell and the flag of Malaya rose to grant our country independence.

5) Aug 31st signifies yet another milestone for me. It symbolises the end of my time as a researcher, and the continuation of my education as a medical student. Today, I said goodbye to Prof. Kathleen Bennett and Dr. Catriona Cahir, both of whom have been exemplary in guiding me in their respective projects. Unfortunately I was not able to get a photograph with Dr. Cahir, but rest assured I shall return to Beaux Lane House to meet up and discuss future proposals soon. At the same time, I'm looking forward to a new semester - with all my old friends, a whole host of eager and bubbling juniors, a new academic building, and the same long-suffering lecturers.

To a new and better Malaysia, to yet another great year, and to ever higher aspirations and achievements! Cheers! ^^

Happy 60th Independence Day Malaysia! ^^

My last day doing research under Prof. Kathleen Bennett, 
HRB Leader and Associate Professor of Pharmacoepidemiology,
Division of Population Health Sciences, Beaux Lane House,
Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland


When you know the staff at AK Henry's too well :)


No comments:

Post a Comment