Sunday 1 July 2018

DAY 655-658

June 18 - 21

1) So I've been out of commission for a good while now, right after announcing that I was back with my fixed computer. Turns out the computer wasn't completely fixed, and I had to return it yet again due to sound issues. Fortunately, the guy agreed to fix my computer for free this time around. Anyway, I've been extra busy in the labs these days, as we've managed to synthesize the compounds that we want, and just need to purify them before storing them away.

2) My log book is getting filled in more frequently - a good sign that I'm making some progress with my experiments. I've also started attending the morning seminars with the others. It is a brief meeting where someone gives a presentation on a published article. Usually the seminar is conducted in Mandarin, which really stretches my ability to comprehend. Thankfully, the journals themselves are always in English, which means I can read from the PowerPoint presentation itself to understand the research.

3) Every afternoon and evening, my lab mates would invite me out to join them for lunch (or dinner). There's always a decision to be made on where to eat, so we usually go for one of the four closest canteens - No. 5, 6, 7 or 8. No. 5 and 6 are together, as are No. 7 and 8. Canteens 1, 2 and 3 are in the opposite campus. And the eagle-eyed among you would realise that I didn't mention a No. 4 - which I can only assume is due to the number "four" being considered unlucky in Chinese culture (because it has the same pronunciation as "die").

4) I've grown to enjoy the long walks to school. The only bit that irks me is the steadily rising temperature as July approaches. The Sun is out in full force early in the morning, and by the time I reach the campus I am bathed in sweat. Thankfully, all rooms including the lab are air-conditioned. Anyway, that is all for this edition of the blog. Thanks very much for visiting, and do find some pics of the lab and of some really delicious (not to mention authentic) food! Have a lovely week ahead, cheers! :D

Posing with my colourful chemicals :))


Just look at the beautiful gradient of colours <3 <3 <3

Silica gel column chromatography :)

Trying to purify our compound with this beautiful reaction ^^

Apparently I look quite dark in this picture haha

 Turns out if you get any frozen meals from the convenience store (Family Mart) they'll heat it up for you (yeay!)

That looks delicious and it certainly was :)
("Zhajiangmian" - 炸醬麵 literally means fried sauce noodles. It is made with thick wheat noodles topped with zhajiang sauce - a type of sauce made by simmering stir-fried ground pork or beef with salty fermented soybean paste)

Noodles with long beans and roasted peanuts, in a hot and sour soup broth :)

The Medicinal Chemical Biology Laboratory,
on the 5th Floor of the Pharmaceutical Sciences Building

Rotary evaporator

Familiar apparatus in a new environment

日式炒饭 - Japanese-style fried rice, served with red bean soup :))

三叔公面馆 - 拌面 
("dry noodles" as recommended by Chris)
A touch of chili paste and it was absolutely heavenly!

Another bowl of fish noodles, this time (if I remember correctly ^^) in a milk-based broth

My apartment living room (there are four bedrooms, two of which are currently occupied)

Kitchen ^^

热干菜 - essentially the same as the "economy rice" we have back in M'sia; where you get a bowl of rice and a choice of meat/ vegetables

I can't get over how amazing the ramen soup noodles are over here <3 <3 <3

No comments:

Post a Comment