Sunday 14 May 2017

DAY 255

May 14

1) The first day after our exams feels a tad strange. The hours spent studying, replaced by a void of complete freedom to do whatever we want. Well well well, time for me to explain everything in detail. I've a couple of announcements to make. Firstly, regarding me and my friends' summer trip. Zi Yan, Kuhan, Melissa, Melvin and I are going for a 13-day trip in which we'll cover a couple of cities in Germany (Berlin, Dresden, Munich, Nuremberg), Austria (Salzburg, Vienna) and Croatia (Split, Zadar). This was all done before/ in between our papers so you can imagine all the hassle involved haha. We're meeting up tomorrow to finalise all the documents and make sure everything is in place.

2) So a bit of a disclaimer: if subsequent blog updates are a bit sporadic during this time period (May 16-30), that just means a) there's poor Wi-Fi connection in the hostels, b) we're taking overnight trains so we need all the sleep we can get, or c) I'm just way too tired after all the walking haha. Worst case scenario, I'll return and upload all the photos and comments on each area we visit. This is unlikely, because I will most probably continue with my usual daily postings.

3) Secondly, and here's the bittersweet part I guess haha. Previously, I had informed many friends and relatives that I'd be returning for the summer. Unfortunately this would not be the case ): The reason being that I've secure two research placements for the summer. The first research is in the Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry, under Dr. Darren Griffith. The second is in the Population and Health Sciences (in Beau Lane House), under Professor Kathleen E. Bennett.

4) These are both part of the RCSI Research Summer School, and I've been really lucky to be awarded a scholarship grant of €2,000 to carry out my research. Great experience, plus a stipend to boot- what's not to like? The only downside being I will be not be coming back as I initially thought I would. Believe me, I had a long chat with my parents regarding this, and they were really supportive of me staying. After all, here's a golden opportunity to dip my feet into the field of research (Malaysia is less well known for research, unfortunately), so they advised me to take it.

5) So that's that folks. That was basically what I wanted to tell everyone for quite a while, but I never found the time to do so. Tomorrow I'll be really busy, packing my stuff, printing out documents and also exchanging for some foreign currency. Anyway, that's the end of my blog, and I hope you enjoyed reading about it. Thanks for reading as always, and have a great day. Cheers!

For those days when I crave a bit of home haha :p



Some really nice juggling/ balancing acts,
 just in front of St. Stephen's Green Shopping Centre

Ross the performer

A rare indulgence for me
(€13 for a nice pair of trainers, just in time for the Europe trip ^^)





No comments:

Post a Comment