Saturday 17 June 2017

DAY 287/ 288

Jun 15/ 16

1) The past two days have been very fruitful for me. Yesterday, I was in the lab from 9-5, synthesising various reactions and managing different experiments. I've performed Thin Layer Chromatography (TLC) for the umpteenth time, in addition to learning how to prepare an NMR sample for analysis. Not bad for my first week on the job I reckon. Anyway, for now at least, my project targets two separate experiments, both involving bismuth as the starting product.

2) The first experiment has been ongoing since the day before, but yesterday we found out how to synthesise the starting compound for the second experiment (hydrazinobenzoic methyl ester). We only got so far as the reflux bit, as that is a projected 15 hours of waiting. So we'll leave it till Monday before continuing. Mr. Keogan has another experiment himself that we'll begin next Monday, so they'll be a lot to do at the start of the week.

3) Today was our first trip to Beaumont Hospital, to attend a lecture series by Dr. Emer Reeves, Lecturer in the Department of Medicine. Her talk was entitled "Critical Reading: the Ability to Appraise and Evaluate a Scientific Paper". I enjoyed her talk as she took us through step by step on how to get our paper published for Research Day, ICHAMS etc. After the lecture, my friend Zi Yan and I went for a walking tour around the Smurfit Research Centre. We will visited some of the wards (just the corridors) to get a clearer picture of the environment we'll be studying in next January.

4) After some time, we took the No. 14 bus back to Aungier St. I bought dinner from Wok In along the way, and proceeded to walk home. Took a nice nap and spent the rest of the evening chilling at home. That's been my past two days, and I hope you enjoyed reading about it. Thanks very much for visiting, and have a splendid day. Cheers!

Beaumont Hospital

Entrance to the Hospital


Smurfit Research Building, Beaumont

Dr. Emer Reeves



Me preparing to give a speech to a non-existent audience XD




No comments:

Post a Comment