Tuesday 20 September 2016

DAY 19

Sept 20

1) Today was the toughest day yet, in terms of academics. This was partially due to our first Anatomy practical, but also because I didn't have the time to study the lecture notes beforehand. Reached RCSI for the first lecture, which was on the breast and pectoral muscles. Then we had an hour and a half break before our first anatomy practical. So we went downstairs to Coffee Doc, a usual hangout spot for students who want to study while sipping coffee or tea haha. Spent the next 90 minutes trying to make sense of everything that had been taught so far.

2) After that, it was finally time. We donned our white coats and nitrile gloves, before going into the anatomy room. I was in Group B8 for anatomy. Our surgeon prosector, Brian E. Lane FRCSI, FRCSEd, FRCSEng, FACS wasted no time in briefing us on the proper etiquette of handling cadavers, which he fondly called "our first patients". So began our first practical session, in which I even got the chance to use the scalpel and forceps! I know some medical schools have dealt away with cadavers, buy in my humble opinion, no amount of plastinated models or CGI anatomical slides can replace a cadaver, once a living person and someone's mom or dad, who generously donated their bodies for research. I would liked to have taken some photos, but respecting privacy is of utmost importance, and so photography is strictly prohibited. I definitely understand that though.

3) Had lunch at AK. Henry's, before attending the next two lectures for today. When it was finally over, headed down to Dunnes to get myself some frozen dinners to last the week. But my luck didn't hold; as I was carrying the four meals back, two of them slipped off and fell *SPLAT* on the ground! Luckily, the food remained intact, although the plastic wrap did come off a little. I had one of them for dinner, and tried to make it a more nutritious meal with complementing that with an orange.

4) To sum off, today has been a really long day and I am about to take a nap soon. After that, I plan to continue studying to cover today's lectures and, to some extent, tomorrow's as well. Just three weeks in and I can see why they say medical students don't really enjoy the luxury of sleep. Anyhow, I shall bear in mind the words said by a professor during our welcoming speech: "Bigger idiots have made it through this." I do hope he's right. Goodnight!




Vegetable korma, with wedges and carrots
€3.95



Salmon dinner
(one of the two meals which fell *splat*, still tasted great though)



Our anatomy practical course book

No comments:

Post a Comment