Monday 9 January 2017

DAY 130

Jan 9

1) Today I woke up much later than usual (around 9.00am), most likely because I slept at around 3.00am haha. Took care of breakfast, before reheating a very special Greek dish called makaronia tou fournou, specially prepared by my housemate, George's mother, who hails from Cyprus. It roughly translates to "oven macaroni", and is usually eaten during festive occasions. In this case, George gave this to me when he came back from Cyprus, in conjunction with my birthday! I was so excited to try out authentic Greek cuisine haha. I had to reheat it in the oven for 1.5 hours though, so I stayed downstairs typing out the previous two blog updates which I had conveniently neglected.

2) Left for the library at around 11.30am, and unpacked everything at my usual spot in the middle of the library. For lunch, I had the macaroni and gosh it tasted amazing! It fascinates me that every country/ region has their own adaptations to dishes, and it is this variety that makes our food so unique. I can't wait to try dishes from all the different nationalities ^^ Anyway, my afternoon was spent finishing the animated movie "Children Who Chase Lost Voices", another masterpiece by Makoto Shinkai. A quick nap later, and I was chatting with some friends online.

3) In the evening, I took out my homemade "oyakodon" or chicken-and-egg rice dish, a Japanese staple. Okay I admit the one I made looks nothing like the actual thing (Google it!), but at least it tasted all right to me XD. At night, I was busy watching some videos online, and also sorting out files and folders on my desktop. I have to start preparing for the next semester (called JC2 or Junior Cycle 2), which promises to be more challenging than ever. As if JC1 was not tough enough already. Oh well, I guess there's but one thing for me to do: survive. That was my blog update, and I hope you enjoyed it. Thanks very much for reading, and goodnight. Cheers!

My morning toast

"Oven macaroni" made my George's mom!
(The Greek writing reads "makaronia fournou" )


Lunch


My "oyakodon" XD

Operating Theatre in the 1890's
(Photo taken at Mercer Library, RCSI)



No comments:

Post a Comment