Monday 20 February 2017

DAY 172

Feb 20

1) Today has been a really busy day for me. To start things off, we had a solid four hour block of lectures, beginning at 8.00am! The agony of waking up for the 8.00am class is real XD Anyway, at noon, we had a brief respite for lunch, and I had some chicken sandwiches with stuffing. There wasn't much time to idle about, as most of us were involved in the Interfaith Celebration event at the Unitarian Church.

2) Many of my friends were ushers, while Khee Heng was the candle bearer. I was chosen to read a text on thanksgiving for the donors, and I was accompanied by three others. By 2.30pm, the event began, with prayers, poems, reflections and choir performances to commemorate the deceased and to show our appreciation to their families for their sacrifice. Professor Clive Lee, Professor of Anatomy, RCSI - was also present to give his address to those present. It was a solemn and emotional gathering, but made all the more memorable with the presence of the surgeon prosectors and family members alike.

3) After the concluding words by Rev Bridget Spain, we were all invited to the College Hall (RCSI) where refreshments were served. Here we got an opportunity to meet up with some of the family members, and many of them thanked us for hosting this event. It gave me immense joy to know that their loved ones voluntarily donated their bodies and that they honoured their wishes. As medical students, I think it is imperative we make the connection that the "cadavers" that we study in the Anatomy Room (every Tues and Fri) are someone's brothers, sisters, spouses or relatives. It just makes us appreciate the greatest gift of them all; the gift of life. And we should never forget that.

4) Immediately after the event, I hurried over to Mercer Library, where my group and I discussed on the Team Project. Fortunately, we are almost done and just have to compile everything and proofread it before submission. Hopefully we'll complete this before our next meeting, which is after Reading Week. At 6.00pm, I was again back at the College, to meet up with the PMC Student Association, to discuss on the performance for International Night. While I still can, I aim to be as active as possible in all sorts of events, before we start doing clinical rotations in hospitals. As expected, the rest of the night will be spent trying to read up on my lessons, in preparation for Card Signing this Friday. That has been my day, and I hope you enjoyed reading about it. Thanks as always, and have a great day. Cheers!

An important event, made all the more memorable by those present

Toast galore

I have a fancy for stained glass windows ^^


Group selfie time! (After the event)


Cookies so massively BIG...


Everyone's so well dressed! :D



Promoting a Green Campus Initiative

From l-r: Khee Heng, me, Esther, Jason



L-r: Hong, me, Nee Kee, Esther, Stephanie, Khee Heng, Jason
(secretly advertising for Coffee Doc)


No comments:

Post a Comment