Thursday 23 February 2017

DAY 175


Feb 23

1) Today has been a busy day for me. Oddly enough, we had the shortest amount of lectures ever, at only two hours! So what was keeping me occupied for the rest of the day? Well, for starters, I went to Beaux Lane House (just opposite Mercer Library) after class ended, for an interview with Professor Kathleen Bennett, Associate Professor in Pharmacoepidemiology and Biostatics in the Population Health Sciences Division, RCSI.

2) Along with Dr. Caitriona Cahir, Prof. Bennett asked me about my background and my interests in conducting research over the summer. After a nice long talk, we agreed that I would be doing statistical analysis in the month of August, for approximately four weeks. I was delighted to know that I would have the opportunity to not only gain some research experience, but also to come up with an abstract for the research done!

3) Furthermore, I've agreed to volunteer to test out a new app called Headspace, which basically teaches us how to relax through meditation. Research is being conducted into this and I signed up to provide feedback on it. That means I get a full year access to the app, provided I fill in some questionnaires about my experience thus far. Free access AND better mental health - what's not to like? ^^

4) In the evening, I went over to the National Surgical Training Centre (just opposite RCSI) to chart my laporoscopic surgical skills progress. I finally managed to do all five laporoscopic tasks (which included extracorporeal and intracorporeal suturing) and we were introduced to two new tasks, one which tested manual dexterity by using one hand to fit in pegs into the pegboard. The other task required us to (virtually) position a rotating arrow so that it was perpendicular to a cube. They were both a lot of fun, and will provide valuable research into how our manual dexterity varies over time across a broad range of factors i.e. training, hobbies, sports etc.

5) Returned to the library after that, and it was freezing outside! The winds have gotten THAT much stronger, as if it weren't already cold enough. Perhaps Dublin should try installing one of 'em wind generators, to provide free electricity for everyone XD Anyway, that's all for today, as I have my Card Signing tomorrow. Thanks for reading as always, and have a great day. Cheers!

That's a fully functional artificial human body, capable of reenacting human-like body function
(and reportedly costing upwards of €100k)



That is my last batch of fried rice :)


 

Before the pegs are placed in the pegboard

After ~~

No comments:

Post a Comment