Thursday 16 March 2017

DAY 194, 195, 196

So I've been out of commission for the past three days. Rather than spend a copious amount of time writing three updates in one go, I decided to combine all three days into one update. Do read on... ^^

Mar 14

Today has been, quite possibly, my lowest point since coming to Dublin. To start things off, I wake up feeling all dizzy, and I have to sit down for a while before being able to stand up properly. My joints are hurting all over, and both my legs are cramping. I'm coughing like crazy, going to the toilet literally every 5 minutes to spit out phlegm and blow my nose. And to top it all off, my head hurts from all that coughing. And the best part? Today is GP Visit Day!

We had to travel all the way to Beaumont, walk another 15 minutes to the GP Practice, before being redirected by the Doctor to our patient's house, which was - believe it or not - back from where we just came! I assure you on a normal day, I would have appreciated that warm sunshine and gentle breeze, but when one is not in the correct state of mind, the journey felt arduous! We met our patient and their family, and spent a good amount of time interacting and asking them questions. When it was all over, I took the nearest bus (Bus 16) straight back to Grafton St. Only it wasn't a straight ride - the bus broke down mid-way! I rarely, if ever, take the bus, and when I do, this happens. Oh well...

I walked all the way back to the library from Grafton St, stopping by Mercer Medical Centre to book an appointment to see the doctor. And guess what? Only available time slot is Thurs - at which point I would've been sick for close to a week! Still, I humbly accept their service as it is free. I've no right to complain anyways...

Dumped my stuff at my usual spot at the Coffee Dock, plonked my head on the table, and soon I was fast asleep. Woke up close to dinner, and realised there was an important event to go to: the Neuroscience Talk, where some of the top neurosurgeons and neurologists working in Beaumont were coming over to deliver a speech. I could not miss this for anything, so I proceeded to go for it. My friends Kuhan and Zi Yan came as well. It was well worth it in my opinion. We learnt a great deal about the life and challenges faced by those neurologists, and what makes their job one of the highest stress-inducing jobs out there.

After the talk ended, there was a small reception in the atrium. Then it was back home for me. Jason and I walked back together. And to really add salt to the wound - I had a terrible stomachache as we were walking back; I barely made it home in time! So that was my day today, definitely not one that I hope to relive, ever. (Except for that Neuro Talk)


Mar 15

Today has been another low for me, and mostly it's because of that cough. It all started with a sore throat a couple of days ago, which manifested into flu. Then all of it just settled in my lungs, and now I can't go five minutes before the gag reflex forces me to cough! I initially had plans to study, but all hope for that is lost, when you have to constantly bolt for the nearest washroom, cough your lungs out, come back, drink water, rinse and repeat ad infinitum.

We had our fourth Healthcare Symposia today. As these symposia are very important in helping us with our project, I just had to attend. I'm well aware I was the source of a lot of "external noise" for the duration of the talk, but I had no choice. I lasted just long enough for the talk to be over, before packing my stuff and heading to the library. And in case anyone has been wondering, I studied outside the quiet rooms in the library so as not to disturb everyone with my incessant coughing.

By noon this was too much for me, so I hopped over to Boots Pharmacy in St. Stephen's Green Shopping Centre. Bought myself an expectorant (I won't disclose the name haha) and tried it. Sad to say it didn't work. I was still coughing like mad as I was going to bed, and what's worst is when you lie down to sleep, all that mucus drains back into the back of your throat - making you cough and essentially not letting you sleep! Somehow I still managed to find a way though...


Mar 16

Fast forward today, and I finally... get to see the doctor. My appointment was at 10.20am, and I had to wait for half an hour due to the large number of visitors. I told the doctor my condition and he took my temperature, checked my pulse, and listened to my chest. He said I had a temperature and my pulse was elevated. And his diagnosis: chest infection. On the lower right lobe, to be precise.

He handed me a prescription, and I had to stop myself from laughing. The drug he prescribed was essentially an antibiotic called penicillin, specifically a combination of amoxicillin and clavulanate. So what's the joke here? Thing is, just a week back we had completed our Principal Seminars, and one of our research topics was on exactly this: antibiotics (beta lactams and anti-beta lactamases). It was somewhat ironic that I should experience firsthand the medicine which we had been researching on for so long for Principal Seminars.

Went over to Boots (again) to get this prescription. In the end, this was a little more expensive than the previous medicine (at 11 euro vs 5 euro) but better safe than sorry I guess. I had another shock as I opened the sachet to take my medication after lunch. Those tablets are BIG! They look like two large pills welded together at the centre. Anyway, I still had to swallow them whole. My blocked airway didn't make the swallowing any easier.

Took a nap in the afternoon, and by evening I was euphoric - while the cough has not gone off entirely, I've not had to go to the toilet in a long, long time. That must mean the medicine is starting to take effect. I took another pill after dinner, and went to buy some bread at Dunnes. So far so good. I'm hoping all this subsides ASAP, as I have my next quiz (Quiz 2 JC2) coming next Friday. That's all for today, and thanks for reading. Cheers!

Mar 14
Beaumont Park Clinic (GP Visit #2)

Our bus broke down at this very location...

My lunch from the Coffee Doc




If ever there was a way to precipitate a tummy upset, well, now there is...


Mar 15
Enjoying lunch in the Mercer Cafe (sans the enjoying bit)

Tried it. It didn't work

Prescription form

Lunch at AK Henry's (for a change)

I may have been over-exaggerating, but no on can deny that those are some big tablets




No comments:

Post a Comment