Wednesday 1 March 2017

DAY 181

Mar 1

1) Today I received an unexpected surprise! Last week, I had written a poem about Mercer Library (the library which is pretty much my second home, if not my first) as my "Tell Us What You Love About Our Library" entry. I had seen the poster in the Mercer Cafe and thought of writing a short poem to express my thoughts and feelings about the library.

2) Fast forward a week and I was up early and studying in the library, when I received an email from Professor Archbold thanking me for my poem. She also asked me to visit the Service Desk whenever I was free for a little "something". So I went in the evening to ask, and guess what I got? A small box of chocolates, meticulously wrapped up and on it a well written thank-you note! I was genuinely not expecting that, and I really felt appreciated by the Library Team.

3) I returned to my desk afterwards to continue with my work. They say that a small gesture can go a long way in brightening up someone's day, and it definitely did for me :D I spent the evening studying with renewed vigour, after I had my chocolates of course... Anyway, the rest of the day was as typical as could be, with me trying to stay focussed and not drift off into space. For those of you who are interested, do check out the poem I wrote - just scroll down below. That's all for my blog today, and I hope you enjoyed reading. Have a great day, cheers!

=======================================================================

Dear Mercer Library,
My home away from home,
For sleep or for study
Or reviewing the human genome

Everything’s so quiet, save for that odd biscuit,
That someone keeps munching,
Exams are coming around, kindly keep it down,
It’s all that I’m asking.

Journals on the heart, oh where do I start?
Books for every prognosis,
No need for concern, that’s how we learn, 
Learning by reverse osmosis

No need for haste, it’s not a race,
Reading is purely for pleasure;
My book is due, I never knew,
More time is what I treasure

Dear Mercer Library,
Where diversity meets appreciation,
With patrons from every country;
A representative from each nation.

Making new friends, that is the trend,
That’s what we do for leisure,
I begin to talk, and they get a shock,
Seems they’ve never heard of Malaysia

Lunch in the café, study throughout the day,
Evening is all about my blog,
“Night falls too fast, why wouldn’t it last?”
There goes my inner dialogue

Dear Mercer Library,
Where at last I can be free,
Thank you for all you’ve shown me,
I’ll remember you for eternity.

=======================================================================

Very touched to receive this for my piece :D








A fine selection of chocolate ^^




No comments:

Post a Comment